Anyone have a caresheet for a Gold Tegu? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOwner01
so the fish doesn't have to be whole? And do I have to cook it? Thanks for all the help by the way.
The fish does not need to be whole, just cut into small chunks. You can also use a reptile vitamin to dust it as well.

I would not cook it. They love it raw.

I am more than glad to help!!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Varnyard,

I was checking out my dog chow bag. I have stopped using Purina Dog Chow, until I find more information. I started using it because wild tegu creep in and take it from my dog's bowl. (so do marine toads, if it’s still there at night - weird, ha?).

By the way, I travel thought out the Amazon Basin and the heaviest concentration of tegu are on the fringes of human inhabitation. I have never even seen one (I’m sure they are there,… but few) in the Rupununi, where those predators are located.

Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America

Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Ha, you asked if Nature Coast Exotics was on the up and up? Listen, if you want to throw away money, buy from them. If you want to do some good, donate to a charity. If you want a nice animal at a good price, check elsewhere.

-Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America

Old 07-21-2006, 05:28 PM   #14
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Oops! Sorry, wrong post. My email is so slow, down here, I have a dozen windows open. Guess my head is a bit slower, than the ISP. Sorry!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA Wildlife Expor
Varnyard,

I was checking out my dog chow bag. I have stopped using Purina Dog Chow, until I find more information. I started using it because wild tegu creep in and take it from my dog's bowl. (so do marine toads, if it’s still there at night - weird, ha?).

By the way, I travel thought out the Amazon Basin and the heaviest concentration of tegu are on the fringes of human inhabitation. I have never even seen one (I’m sure they are there,… but few) in the Rupununi, where those predators are located.

Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America
Mike, I am not saying they will not eat it. I am saying it is dog food. There are additives in it that are harmful to reptiles. That does not mean they will not eat it if given the chance.

One of the other additives that is in dry dog food is fillers. Some of them use paper, others use ash. These can build up in a reptile's system and cause a impaction. Dogs can pass these fillers, with no problem at all. Reptiles have a much slower digestive system, and cannot digest these items.

Mike, do you ever see any other tegus besides the black tegu, black and white Colombian, or the golds?

I was wondering about the Argentine reds, Argentine Black and Whites, Blue tegus, or the yellow tegu (Tupinambis duseni)?

The yellow tegu (Tupinambis duseni) are not in the pet trade here. There is also very little knowledge of them here.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
varnyard
Here is a picture of the The yellow tegu (Tupinambis duseni).

Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
COBRA Wildlife Expor
Hi Bobby,

The only tegu we have here, to the best of my knowledge, is T. nigropunctatus. They largely occur along the costal regions. There is a line of jungle that stretches along the Guyana cost, 2-10 miles in, from the beach. Tegus thrive on the edges of the jungle that separates urban Guyana with jungle Guyana. That’s where there is ample food in supply from humans. Interestingly enough, I have never seen them in the deep jungle. The deepest into the jungle I have found them was when I lived in Matthew’s Ridge, in the Northwest District, which is 55 miles from the infamous Jones Town, and many more miles from the coast.

-Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America

Old 07-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #18
SnakeOwner01
Hey Varnyard I was wondering if the fish has to be fresh or could it be frozen then thawed and are there certain types of fish that are better for them?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #19
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA Wildlife Expor
Hi Bobby,

The only tegu we have here, to the best of my knowledge, is T. nigropunctatus. They largely occur along the costal regions. There is a line of jungle that stretches along the Guyana cost, 2-10 miles in, from the beach. Tegus thrive on the edges of the jungle that separates urban Guyana with jungle Guyana. That’s where there is ample food in supply from humans. Interestingly enough, I have never seen them in the deep jungle. The deepest into the jungle I have found them was when I lived in Matthew’s Ridge, in the Northwest District, which is 55 miles from the infamous Jones Town, and many more miles from the coast.

-Mike Roberts
COBRA Wildlife Exporters
Guyana, South America
The T. nigropunctatus is what we refer to as the T.teguixin, or black and white Colombian tegu.

Thanks for the information!! One of these days I am going to take a trip to South America. I would love to study them in their natural habitat.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:51 AM   #20
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOwner01
Hey Varnyard I was wondering if the fish has to be fresh or could it be frozen then thawed and are there certain types of fish that are better for them?
You could feed it either way you wish. I feed F/T, that way I can portion it out. Wrap it separate, then thaw as needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!