Feeding Schedule... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Chris Steele
Question Feeding Schedule...

I just need some ideas of feeding schedules for young beardies and adult beardies. What/when do you feed your beardies? THANKS

Old 02-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Chris Steele
Forgot this...
-Also, I know I need the calcium powder, do I need a specific kind?
-Do I need minorol?

Old 02-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Chris Steele
One more thing, do I need herppitivite?

If I need herppitivite, calcium, and minoral can someone please describe when and how they apply them?

Thanks so much! Chris

Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
neatochickens27
For new babies id feed greens(collard,dandylion,mustard) in the morning along with beardie diet.After theyre all asleep put it in the tank so they can wake up and eat.
In the afternoon(3-4) id feed them crix galore.As many as they can eat.After that around 6-7 id give more crix and occasional mealies also.All insects should be dusted with reptivite once a week(my prefrence, most petstores cary it).And calcium powder every day(most petstores have it).
This is just how id do it if i had a lot of babies.Hope some of this helps.

Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Chris Steele
Question

What is beardie diet? Any advice on Miner-All? I don't even know what it is.

I think I want a rock for my beardie cage. Can I get a rock from a creek? If so what do I do to it, bake? What temp for how long?

Thanks for your help/advice.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Karmic
Here's a link to a caresheet that explains it well, I think.
kakadu beardie caresheet

Beardie Diet just means a commercial pelleted diet such as the one RepCal makes. It is carried at most pet stores, even PetsMart.

A rock is fine once cleaned, but you may find it easier to use driftwood so your baby can climb closer to the UVB lamp if he wants to.

Minerall is fine, but I prefer RepCal. It is easier to find at a store rather than having to pay for shipping.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Chris Steele
I was going for a rock instead of drift wood because a caresheet said that the rock would help warm from under and above it as they absorb heat much better than wood. What do I bake the driftwood at and how long? Thanks for the site Melissa!

Old 02-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
Karmic
You can definitely use a rock. I did for a time, but I found as my beardie got larger he did not particularly care for laying flat. It was a pretty flat rock. He prefers to be partially upright draped along a branch-like piece of driftwood. I have only used driftwood that i had bought for my aquariums, so I'm not sure about baking wood. You can boil it, or if it is too big, pour boiling water over it in a large tub. I would be very careful of baking that little pieces don't catch fire. Wood will hold some heat, but not as much as rock will. Rock can easily be put in the oven. I'm not sure there are any particular guidelines, but I think 200F for an hour or so should do it. Just don't try to handle it until it cools down.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Matt Haines
I would suggest for babies that you feed them more than 1 or 2 times a day of crickets. They have very high metabolisms and not feeding them every 2-3 hours can lead to a lot of nipped appendages. Placing too many crickets in the tank with them at one time can stress them out and lead to their not eating as well.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Chris Steele
How many crickets will one dragon eat per day?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!