Leopard question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
ndballpythons
Leopard question

I have a question about Leopard tortoises.
I'm interested in adding a tortoise to my family, theres a couple different species that jump out to me.

My question for the Leopard is what is their growth rate? Can anyone provide me with a growth chart? Maybe how much yours grew the first year, second. etc?

I rent a basement duplex right now so an adult leopard wouldnt be happy here. But I'm planning on my living conditions to change in the next year and the tortoise could have a nice yard to live in for the summer.
I'm just curious about their growth rate.

I'm also interested in greeks or hermanns. smaller and more apartment friendly but I know I wont be an apartment forever.
anyone have any input on these 3 species personalities and how they differ?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
AdamR
Adriane, I'm glad youre doing some research before getting into something that you may or may nothave the space for at the moment. I only have experience with Sulcatas, Leopards, and Redfoots so my advice will only help you on leopards. I haven't been able to find an accurate growth chart for them but there may be one out there. To tell you the truth, it seems that they vary a bit depending on what you feed them and their living conditions. My little leo is 2 years old now and I got him as a 4 month old hatchling. He weighed 54g the day I got him and now he is just pushing 1000g and 12cm (plastron length). I still keep him in the same 40gal tank that I got for him as a hatchling but he would've done fine in a 20gal for the first 8 months or so. They don't grow super fast but they never stop eating!! Be prepared to keep food on hand at all times. They are very cool torts and each have their own personality but they are very stubborn and can demolish anything in their path. I hope this helps a bit. If you buy a hatchling, do lots of research on the seller and make sure they are keeping their torts in optimal conditions because you don't want to invest in a sick tort!!

Check out Tortoise Forum. They are great people and have EVERYTHING on all torts and will point you in the best direction for you!!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-...#axzz1bv5qbbcz

Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
ndballpythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
Adriane, I'm glad youre doing some research before getting into something that you may or may nothave the space for at the moment. I only have experience with Sulcatas, Leopards, and Redfoots so my advice will only help you on leopards. I haven't been able to find an accurate growth chart for them but there may be one out there. To tell you the truth, it seems that they vary a bit depending on what you feed them and their living conditions. My little leo is 2 years old now and I got him as a 4 month old hatchling. He weighed 54g the day I got him and now he is just pushing 1000g and 12cm (plastron length). I still keep him in the same 40gal tank that I got for him as a hatchling but he would've done fine in a 20gal for the first 8 months or so. They don't grow super fast but they never stop eating!! Be prepared to keep food on hand at all times. They are very cool torts and each have their own personality but they are very stubborn and can demolish anything in their path. I hope this helps a bit. If you buy a hatchling, do lots of research on the seller and make sure they are keeping their torts in optimal conditions because you don't want to invest in a sick tort!!

Check out Tortoise Forum. They are great people and have EVERYTHING on all torts and will point you in the best direction for you!!

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-...#axzz1bv5qbbcz
Thank you,
I'm not set on any species yet. I hope to have a new tortoise addition within a year maybe. So I'm taking my time figuring out which tortoise suits me best. I know I would like to have a tortoise with some size that can roam the yard and basically live there all summer, as it should.
I'm a meber of tortoise forums and have posted this thread there as well. I want the most opinions and information I can get!
That was a very wonderful and informative response! thank you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!