Help figuring out morph of corn snake or if it's even one. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
venomflipz
Question Help figuring out morph of corn snake or if it's even one.

I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the right thread to be posting in. It can be removed/moved as the mods see fit. Thank you all ahead of time.

I bought a corn snake (I think) about 6 years ago and it's always looked different in size compared to how any normal corn would grow. At least the ones I always saw and owned. I am either thinking it's just a basic corn morph that isn't growing anywhere close to what I'm used to with but wanted to get thoughts from experienced people.

When I first got it, the snake was small but not too much smaller in length than it's current size right now. It seems to be growing more girth wise (like a ball python would) but it's not a BP. The snake has always eaten once a week without issues and I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with under feeding or anything in that area. In fact, it's not uncommon for that little guy to eat 2 avg size mice if offered. It appears healthy, active as any snake should and the habitat is always clean which is the same for all my reptiles.

I did the best I could for now with pictures and will get better shots if needed. Only able to put up 4 so hope it's enough for the moment. The one I am referring to this whole time is the yellow colored one, the other is a snow corn. I kept the snow corn pictured to show size comparison because my snow corn is shy under 2 years old but growing and 3x bigger than the other. Is it normal for some corn snakes just not to grow much after 6 years or is it a possible mix (I used to have a jungle corn so I never know).

Thank you so much in advance for everyone reading and I value your thoughts greatly!

Best Regards,
Jay
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
WebSlave
Looks like a Butter Stripe to me. I produced a lot of them when I was doing this stuff.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
looks like a butter stripe to me as well. maybe there is some emoryi rat snake in the mix back down the line? I think they are a little smaller than corn and crossing the two is done

Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
WebSlave
Actually, I was the originator of the Butter/Caramel genetic strain, and there was no mixture of emoryi in there at all. No telling what might have happened after they left my hands, however.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
venomflipz
Thank you all for your reply's! Is it normal/common for a Butter Stripe to grow like mine or could it happen with any corn snake? I've owned over 15 and never came across one like it ever but he's still a cute fellow... just nippy as heck.

Get's along with the snow corn great, this was just something I kept thinking about for awhile now & figured I'd ask. Thanks again!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
I didn't mean because it was a butter it might have emoryi.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
Dro B
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Actually, I was the originator of the Butter/Caramel genetic strain, and there was no mixture of emoryi in there at all. No telling what might have happened after they left my hands, however.
Hey Rich, any of the snakes(mutations) you released still seen on your property? Been very curious over the years it would be somewhat valuable info as most implications on the survival of morphs in the wild are just speculation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
colubrid, colubrids, corn snake, morph