Crested Problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Kurohyo
Crested Problems

A while ago, one of my large males attacked a smaller gecko I have. He made a squealing sound and gargled at the mouth, and it really worried me, but since he's seemed alright enough. But one thing bothers me : His eyes get dialated at night and it seems like he stares off into space. The other geckos' eyes don't dialate as much as his, but other that he seems normal. Of course the male has been seperated from the larger cage, and none of the other geckos are having issues with each other now.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
rcarichter
Unless you're viewing them with red light, the amount of eye dilation is going to be dependent upon available light, which varies even as the geckos turns his head a bit, so it's hard to compare.
As far as the staring, it's probably the illusion that stems from their lack of eyelids. You're seeing totally black, unblinking eyes. If you turn on the lights to check on them at night, it would have the same effect it would have on a person. You'd be temporarily blinded/stunned if someone were to shine a light in your eyes in a dark room.
It's good that you separated them. Be sure to watch him if/when you put him with a female, since he's proven to have a temper.

Noelle

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
JELReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Unless you're viewing them with red light, the amount of eye dilation is going to be dependent upon available light, which varies even as the geckos turns his head a bit, so it's hard to compare.
As far as the staring, it's probably the illusion that stems from their lack of eyelids. You're seeing totally black, unblinking eyes. If you turn on the lights to check on them at night, it would have the same effect it would have on a person. You'd be temporarily blinded/stunned if someone were to shine a light in your eyes in a dark room.
It's good that you separated them. Be sure to watch him if/when you put him with a female, since he's proven to have a temper.

Noelle
Agreed.

I would definitely try to keep separate enclosures for your geckos, especially males. If there is a size difference, I wouldn't put them together even if they were females. Keeping separate enclosures will prevent any incidents.

Glad it seems to be doing okay though!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Kurohyo
Well, compared to the other geckos in his cage his eyes are dialated a lot. Like, practically the entire eye with the light on. The cage is split into 3s, but they aren't heavily enforced so they end up together a lot anyways. I'll make sure it's escape proof. The staring thing is him looking into the distance, just nowhere in particular. It's not an eyelid issue, I work with the other geckos too... But he is pretty strange.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
JELReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohyo View Post
. The cage is split into 3s, but they aren't heavily enforced so they end up together a lot anyways. I'll make sure it's escape proof.
I know this isn't the point of the thread, but I would definitely make sure they cannot get to one another. Males will fight, larger cresteds will fight with younger ones, and even same size females can be hostile toward one another. So ensuring they are separated should be of high priority.

As far as the eye is concerned, I'm not sure how you could get a picture in the dark, but how does it look when the light is on? Also how are you viewing it in the dark? It could simply be a difference in the amount of light the eye is receiving, but if you think it may be something more than that I would be curious as to how the eye looks compared to the other in the daylight.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Beardiefreak26
vet anyone?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!