A step backwards ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
old guy
A step backwards ?

It appears as we ( against rattlesnakes roundups ) protest more, talk more about it, post our anti thoughts, etc. the western roundups are thriving and showing signs of more attendance, more lucrative and more snakes being caught this year compared to other years of past. How can this be ? the Texas Sweetwater event saw more attendance and more snakes either by numbers or pounds as the Oklahoma events that are coming up are boasting the same for this year. My friend that goes down to the Waurika event but does not hunt in the event says that the towns Jaycees tells him they already have a significant amounts of WDB ready to go for the roundup that is still about 3 weeks away. Also they told him that about every motel/hotel/campground is booked to the capacity for MILES around! Your thoughts..............

Old 03-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Junkyard
We are in the minority.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Tim Cole
We

are also educated and well informed.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
sugarkornbizkits
Angry

That is so sad! I would've thought it would be the other way around...people would think it was cruel and such. It's a demented world that we live in today.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Rattlesnake
It just goes to show you how really stupid the human race can be.

Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
sppeavy
There just are more people that hate snakes than love them. Like I said in my other post, for people that hate snakes, this is easy money. The one guy in Sweetwater brought 1,200 lbs of rattlers. At 5.00 per pound, that makes 6,000 dollars. For people that hate snakes, thats a nice chunk of change. I would like to hear some replies on this....... The Sweetwater ad said they had collected 15,000 lbs of snakes, but only 3,200 lbs were Western Diamondbacks. I really want to know what the rest were. The only other 2 that I see alot in Texas are the Mojaves and Blacktails. All the rest are harder to find, and the Timbers are federally protected, so what the heck makes up the other 11,800 lbs of snakes? That is what intrests me.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
old guy
I would like to know that also

if sweetwater allows other species as brought ins. i have never heard that is allowed or dis-allowed. in our state Mr. Sppevy, you may or may not know that our Sharon Springs event DOES NOT allow other species other than the prairie rattler. In fact a few years ago a few hunters ( don't know if they actually hunted in Kansas ) was fined for bringing in WDB. Of course if it was timbers, the fine would of been greater ( and didn't hear of any timbers brought in ). When I went to the Mangum OK event years ago among the 1,000s of WDB ( the roundup was bigger in those days ), there were a few really odd-ball patterned and colored rattlesnakes in the pits. They ( the Jaycees ) didn't allow anyone to purchase any of these snakes once they were in the pits.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
old guy
BTW, timbers are not

federally protected as of this year. The Kansas wildlife has them still on the sinc list. Our neighboring state of Missouri has them allowed with a out of state receipt of purchase. UNLESS something was changed in the past month or so, not fed protected.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
Cat_72
Just think how different the general population would react if they held......oh, lets say "Kitten roundups" and treated them the same as the snakes......

Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
sppeavy
Yeah, stupid me, I read about the Timbers. I just wonder what all was there. Since only 3,148 lbs were WDBs, that would make the majority of snakes something else they are not willing to mention. Hmmmmmmmm. Whats the deal. 10,000 lbs were something else! Thats nuts. One of these days, people will end this crap, just not soon enough. Hey, Oldguy? If you want to see some Timbers this year, contact me around the second week of April. I found a den last spring and Im going to check it out if the weather is right. Its on the west side of Topeka by Dover. I got a photo of a monster last spring. I didnt see the whole snake, but I saw the rattle and it had at least 15 buttons. I want to take some shots of them comming out of there den. Later

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!