Garter Brumation in Oregon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Lucidum
Garter Brumation in Oregon

I currently live in Ashland, Oregon, and a few weeks ago I heard a friend mention seeing a garter snake in the local park. Now I haven't seen anything myself, but it's the right kind of environment for garters. I know they brumate during the winter (which is approaching quickly), and that they brumate below the frost line, but I'm looking to collect some of the snakes while brumating, so I can breed them and enjoy studying them in captivity. Does anyone know where I should look for Garter snakes brumating?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
necromantica
If you come up to the north west oregon the garter snakes are so populous you can't even go into your backyard without a garter suddenly skitting away. I do not really think its wise to collect garters from the wild unless you can afford the vet bill to have them all treated for parasites. In regards to where they are i have found any woodland with water, grasshoppers, crickets, and frogs has garters in oregon.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
Omnomnami
I wish I could help. I live in Douglas County and I haven't seen many around all year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!