shedding problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
neatochickens27
shedding problem

Hiya!One of my baby leos(bout 1-2 months now)is having trouble shedding on his fingers.He sat in the humid hide for a coupple days off and on but he couldnt get that little bit off.Well it seems he started biting at it and it looks like he may have ripped off a peice of his finger.I can see the blood.Should i put any neosporin on it or anything?Any help would be appreciated.thanks a lot.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
raiquee
Sometimes Leos will do that, and its fine. he's just one finger less! Clean it off a bit and remove any extra skin that may be attached, then yes dress the wound with a small dab of neo. If hes not already, put him on paper towel because otherwise sand will just get caked onto that wound.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
neatochickens27
phew, im glad to hear its not a problem.thanks a lot.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
Borewyrm
He will be fine for the simple fact that you care enough to notice it He will heal just make sure all the skin is off.

Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
DiabloBoa
ive had two leos that lost a couple digits but havent had a problem since ive given them moist hides 100 percent of the time. to help Bertha out ive set her in a tub with 1/4 inch or so of water for a little while then carefully rub her digit till the skin comes off. sometimes i stop and put her back to soak and try again. eventually it loosens up and comes off.

Old 07-31-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
snowgyre
If you notice your little leo (or even an adult for that matter) is having trouble sloughing the skin around his/her toes, do what Vinny suggested above. I generally get a small tub of luke warm water and let the geckos sit in that for a minute or two to soften the skin, and then I carefully remove the excess skin with tweezers or my fingernails.

As for missing toes, it doesn't really affect your gecko that badly. I've got a few adults with missing toes and it doesn't seem to bother them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!