Rattlesnake roundups - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
snakekid13
Rattlesnake roundups

This guy is doing a great think if you can help him out by donating a little bit of money or adopting a rattler do so please these snakes dont deserve this. Just read the thread

http://redtailboa.net/rrr.html

Old 06-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
gila7150
I have mixed feelings about this. I commend Brian for his efforts and I think his heart is in the right place but I'm not sure that buying snakes off these dirtbags is the answer.
If these guys realize that they can sell a certain number of snakes to herp enthusiasts it just gives them more reason to snatch even more out of the wild. I don't see how this will decrease the numbers that are killed for their skin, meat or just to make novelty products as long as there is a market for those.

These events are still legal in some areas because of the money they generate for the inbred, backwoods communities where they occur. While this effort may save a few snakes, it will also make these events more profitable which may just help to ensure that they continue.

I definitely don't mean to sound like I'm pissing on Brian's idea because atleast he's trying to do something. I just wish there was a better solution than lining the pockets of people I despise.
Maybe we could let an infamous reptile vendor from Tampa write a check for all the snakes and then high tail it out of town before it bounces?

Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
snakekid13
I understand what your saying i was just really touched by his effort to try and save these snakes. The vendor idea is a good idea lol! Maybe we should hijack the place were all the snakes are kept and steal all the snakes and return to the wild hehehe. Or everyone who contributed to killing these snakes gets to get bit in the nuts by one of the rattlers that they caught and turned into the roundup!!! sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
BWSmith
Georgia Dept of Natural Resources is working on ending the Roundups. Unfortunately, this is a much more daunting task than most realize. At the Claxton Roundup that i went to, there were roughly 20,000 people through the door. That is $100,000 just in admission fees alone. Not to mention refreshments, souvenirs, etc. These events basically are the primary income for these small towns.

This effort is simply to save a few from the slaughter. Additionally, those saved are placed free in homes where they will be used in public education (since they cannot be released). It is not intended to help stop the actual roundups, as it is more than one man can do. Other efforts are under way to that end. But not only were animals saved, but valuable contacts were made for future use. And useful little tidbits of information were gathered like the fact that many on the committee WANT to stop having the roundup part of the event. Glad-handing a few key people can make a big difference in the long run.

As far as lining their pockets, it is a yes and no answer. For those unfamiliar with the Roundup, here is how it breaks down. In the Winter, the hunters go out and catch the snakes (it takes skill to catch a snake when it is 30 degrees out ). These snakes are then kept in wooden boxes with no food until the event. The hunters bring in their catch (generally only about 6 or so hunters are involved) and they are paid by the event coordinators. The event coordinators then sell the animals to the "butcher". This man takes them and kills them for heads, hide, and meat. This is the man that we had to buy the snakes from. So actually, none of the money went to the Roundup or the Hunters. Whether that is better or not is a judgment call. And trust me, these guys are fully aware of the reptile industry and they know what is worth money.

A few interesting things:
- Eastern Diamondbacks are getting so rare in Georgia that virtually all of them at the Roundup came from Alabama.
- About 90% of them were female
- 348 snakes were brought in by 6 or 7 hunters
- By the second day, there was a 4'x2'x2' crate FULL of dead rattlers that did not even survive the night
- Those rescues that did not survive are among the first Roundup snakes to ever have necropsies done and a paper should be out soon
- While DNR could not officially endorse the rescue (once out of the wild, it is the same as dead for conservation), I spoke to several DNR officials that were amazed at the support and success and have renewed hope of ending them in Georgia.

So is the rescue an answer to the roundups? no, of course not. But i believe that it will help pave the way for other efforts and show others that something can be done. Just baby steps. Let me know if there are any other concerns or criticisms, I am more than happy to answer.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:41 PM   #5
Mustangrde1
Hey Brian whats the fianlly tally on survival or the rescues and placements and how are they doing now?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!