Baby BRB escaped! :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
bigjej
Baby BRB escaped! :(

I am really kicking my own rear right now. I picked up a couple of baby BRB's at the white plains show and have been keeping them in the guest room in a tank without clips n the lid since I didnt have the right size handy. I was gonna pick up a set yesterday but before I got to do so my four year old decided to show off to his uncles - who are in their 20's but not much more mature than him - and opened up the cage to give them water (he usually knows better ). Well of course the two neglected to tell me about this until the next day when one snake was found under a pile of clothing and another was AWOL. I am so furious - at myself for being careless and at them for being irresponsible. So far I have searched high and low with no luck - I tore apart that room. I emptied the book cases, closet and under the bed. No luck. I then searched around the whole house - under fridge, oven, couch, closets, upstairs in the bedrooms and in the basement ( though not as thoroughly). I'm at a loss as to where it could be. I wouldnt have thought it would have gone that far, especially to go acrss the hallway, kitchen and then under a door to teh basement or up a flight of stairs (though it wouldnt be the first time I've been suprised by my snakes ). I havent fed them yet. The breeder was feeding live pinkies and I havent had a chance to pick them up yet so I figured they might be hungry. I set out a FT pinkie in a bottle trap on a heat mat. No taker ( then again the other one had no interest either ). I'm gonna see if I can pick up some live ones tday and set a trap and maybe have some luck. How long can the pinkies live in a bottle on a heat mat ? I have to go away for a couple of days. I'll also leave a water dish in case it decides to soak. My biggest fear ( other than finding it dead ) is that it somehow got outside the house and it being unusually warm and humid this time of year, I doubt I'll ever see it again if it does. So my long winded post is over. any other suggestions?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Focal
The pinky will last a few days before it really starts to stink. Good luck, if it's anything like my BRB's that escaped in the past, he's in the tightest smallest darkest warmest spot nearest to where he got out.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
bigjej
Problem is I really tore that room apart and the closest closet and bathroom to that room. Its mind boggling. I really hope I find it. I take it hard when I lose a pet, especially due to my own carelessness. I have yet to lose a snake ( a couple of escaped but showed their faces within a two or three days and none this small ) but I did lose two chameleons who were in the backyard and i didnt secure their cages well.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Focal
Well I hope you find the little guy. My son lost our proven het albino female BP and she is definitely under the house and we haven't seen her in weeks. I've tried almost everything to catch her

If you search how to make a live snake trap in google, it will give you some ideas on how to make a box.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
P&A Pythons
put flour on kitchen floor at night. should leave trail if he or she still in house.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Bobby Douglass
I had a baby brb get out a few months ago when my daughter left the lid loose. I looked everywhere it seemed like but still couldn't find him. I figured the stupid cat got him and I gave up the search. About 3 weeks later I almost stepped on him getting out of bed one morning. He was a little dehydrated but has since recovered fully. I have since fixed the door to the snake room so that if one does get out of it's enclosure it can't get under the door. Good luck finding it.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
bakew13
Last month my brother in law had an unexpected clutch of 7 BRB's. They had to go into a large temporary enclosure until room could be made for a more permanent home. The first night all 7 escaped. Luckily all were found after 2 days but you would be amazed where some of them ended up. Several were found on the top shelf of a closet under some clutter. It is mind boggling as to how 1 of them could get up there in the first place, let alone several.

Don't give up looking, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
bigjej
thanks. I've been spending a lot of time searching. basically since im home on vacation for a couple weeks that means alot of time i would have rather been doing other things. i picked up a few pinkies today for traps. first i tested one with my captive brb. at first no interest but i checked after lights out and it came right out and gulped that sucker. so i made three bottle traps - one for each floor including the basement - and am hoping that one of them will work. i wasnt sure if these boas would climb so i havent emptied all the shelves in that room except the bookcases but hte next stop will be the rest of the shelves in the closet if the traps dont work. thanks for the advice and wishes.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
bigjej
Ok so first night with baited traps and no takers. I have to leave for a coupe of nights. How long can the pinkies stay alive in the traps? I was thinking of leaving one on the outside of the room as well ( that would be in the backyard ).

Old 09-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej View Post
i wasnt sure if these boas would climb so i havent emptied all the shelves in that room except the bookcases but hte next stop will be the rest of the shelves in the closet if the traps dont work. thanks for the advice and wishes.
I would check those shelves if you haven't. 90% of my escapes were found during my third or fourth search and it's always the place I thought they couldn't get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjej View Post
Ok so first night with baited traps and no takers. I have to leave for a coupe of nights. How long can the pinkies stay alive in the traps? I was thinking of leaving one on the outside of the room as well ( that would be in the backyard ).
They will last a few days and then should be good for at least another day after they die.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!