help with female laying eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
neatochickens27
help with female laying eggs

Howdy!..i have reason to beleive my female is pregnate.Shes been in the nesting box for the past 24 hours and has barely moved.Is this common?Are females known to guard their eggs?I think im gonna let her alone for another day of so then i might check.Someone please help me out.thank a lot.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
WiteLeo
Spending alot of time in the laying box is very common. It may take her a couple days though. You should check on her twice a day because you don't want the eggs to go bad if she lays them. My females don't realy guard there eggs, she will make a pile over the eggs and just sit on it. Ill move her and thats that.

When she starts digging like mad all over the box and tank, then thats a sign shes about to lay.

I need to go! Sorry, hope someone else can say more.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
neatochickens27
thank you..that did help a lot.i was just curious.thanks again!

Old 04-29-2005, 07:46 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
a lot of them stay in the humid box alot, even when non gravid, you can check her belly and see if you see eggs, they will look like the pic below and Witeleo is right, the will dig and dig and throw coco fiber everywhere lol

My lay boxes that have the hole in the side are the easiest to know when they lay but also the messiest to cleanup since they throw the fiber out all over, the ones I have with the hole in the top are much cleaner since they cannot throw the fiber out as much but they will usually dig on one end and move all the fiber on top of the eggs once they lay them but its harder to tell that they laid since there is little to no mess.

I check the top hole hides when I see the female is out and look to see if the fiber is all moved to one end, if it is I check her belly, no sense going digging if she hasn't laid yet lol

I also check in the am in case they laid overnight, then late afternoon then again before bed jsut to be safe, I most often find eggs first thing in the morning and at bed time.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
Sunset Gecko
you can usually tell they've laid their eggs or are about to when the egg laying medium is all pushed to one side.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!