First Skink of the New Year - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-02-2007, 04:56 AM   #1
jrbl
First Skink of the New Year

Posted by: jrbl at Tue Jan 2 03:36:46 2007 [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ]

Hi,
Early January 1, 2007, my severely gravid Monkey tail skink gave birth to twin babies. However, the second baby was malformed and died only hours after being born. The first baby is much better off. I emailed the Corucia expert I got my male skink from, and she gave me some bad news, and explained death of the second baby. Both babies were born with their yolk sacs on the outside. It did not occur to me that this was not normal. The second baby, in addition to having its yolk sac on the outside, also had the better part of its digestive tract outside as well. The "Corucia expert" told me that this can happen if the babies are born too early, which is very disturbing. She said that my female may have given birth early becasue she did not have room for twins, or possibly because the malformed second baby. The malformed baby also looked like someone put it in a vise. Its rib cage grew in a confined postistion leading to a compressed rib cage. It also almost looked like it had a broken back, but it probably looked like that for the same reason the rib cage was compressed. There was simply not enough room in my female skink for twins. The "corucia expert" also said that my first baby is still in trouble. I am taking it to the vet in the morning. The vet will remove the yolk sac and give the baby antibiotics. The baby has a good chance of getting an umbilical infection that can lead to an infection of the digestive tract and death. Additionally, since the baby will no longer have the yolk sac, the baby will not receive the nutritional benefits that is needs for its first couple weeks of life. I am hoping it will take to eating sooner than it normally would, or it may need to be force fed or given an IV. I am hoping the first baby of the new year came with a little luck, or it may not make it. I will keep you all informed. Just for Karen, my female shed one week before she gave birth. Josh

Old 01-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
K-Ran
Josh, I am so sorry to hear of your news. If you have read any of my posts, I experienced a similar experience last year. I cannot say how dissappointed I was. I will be thinking about your baby and best of luck to you. Let us know how things progress. These little guys can be so frustrating. I am glad you have a vet that you can get to so quickly, I hope it makes the difference for this little guy! Thanks again for all the information. Karen

Old 01-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Brian - LCRC
placenta and corucia

Leeway Corucia research Center (LCRC)

Hi Josh,

My sorrow for your loss as well as cheers for the survival of the other twin. The info on your your experience (with your loss) is informative and may prove an aid to Corucia neonate survival in the future.

Corucia produce by viviporous matrotrophy as such, they have a placenta not unlike a mammal. It is not a yolk sack per se. The developing Corucia is attached by an umb. cord to the placenta externally. This is normal. The neonate corucia, after feed on this placenta. This is why it takes usually 3 days for the young to start eating.

Thanks again for posting this information and best of luck with your Corucia.

Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Brian - LCRC
Death of twins Corucia

Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

Hi Josh,

I wanted to add that as much as we know there is so much we have yet to learn. When it comes to fetal Corucia survival, this is especially true.

It takes a great deal of genetic investment by the female to produce one young that is a great % of weight and size of her, not to mention producing a second young. Is a lack of nutrition, stress, improper climatic conditions, etc that causes a loss of a twin or both developing young? These are answers that hopefully those who are working with Corucia may be able to solve. Even in the best of conditions, in the case of twins many are born with the second individual more stunted in size.

Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
jrbl
Sad News...

Hi Everyone,
I am sad to say that the surviving twin died on Saturday morning. She had been responding to the antibiotics, drinking very well, and eating okay. She had urinated many times, but had never passed any feces. On Friday, her eyes looked a little sunk in, so I thought she might have been a little dehydrated. She had ate and drank a lot on Friday, however, she vomited up most, if not all of it, before a put her to bed. In the morning, I found her dead, with her eyes sunk all of the way inside of the sockets. I really thought she was doing well, but perhaps there was a problem, possibly with her digestive tract, of which I was not aware. I thought since she was urinating, her digestive tract was probably functioning properly, but I could have been wrong. She was born early, how early, I can't say for sure. I really got attached to the little girl, and she broke my heart. My vet, and a former Corucia keeper friend(also a vet) I have conversing with since the birth of the twin, both assured me that I took very good care of her. They said I did everything I could possibly do, and her death was related to her premature birth and possibly her digestive system was not functioning properly. Thank you all for your king words and support during the past couple of weeks. Josh
RIP Bitsy, daughter(?) of Flicka and MicroChip. She was only 13 days old.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #6
K-Ran
Josh, I am so sorry to hear this. I know how attached you can become. I know you worked hard and gave her the best possible chance. Thanks for sharing all of your information with us all. It will help others when they are in your same position. Our thoughts are with you. Karen

Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
johelian
Im very sorry to hear that. I know that you would have done all that you could - you obviously care so much about your corucia.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
seishin
Our deepest condolences, Josh... We all know how endearing these guys are, and how precious each baby. And you tried so hard to save those two.

-- Celeste

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!