*Off Topic* Fix to my brumation problem w/ Western Hognose? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
Ross Payan - LA
*Off Topic* Fix to my brumation problem w/ Western Hognose?

Ok, so I've been trying to figure out how to brumate my western hogs in the hot TX climate. Everyone's first inclination is to use a fridge, but I have heard that the new frost free fridges will suck the water out of the hogs and kill them from dehydration, even with a water bowl present.

So here is my thought... What if I brumated the hogs in large AIR TIGHT containers and simply opened the containers every couple of days to allow for air exchange. The resp. rates should be slow enough at 55*f for this to work as reptiles don't use much oxygen even at normal temps.

The purpose of the air tight containers is too keep the air from the fridge from coming in direct content with the hogs, so the frost free function should not get a chance to dry them out. This should solve the "freeze-drying" problem.

Thoughts....? I think this might work, but I'd like some reassurance before I try it out. I don't want any snake jerky.

Any other ideas?

Old 02-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Gregg M
How about just finding a cool dark area in the house????

Old 02-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
robin d.
Greeg... we do not have the temps even in the winter to brumate correctly usually in texas you have assist... ac unit or some kinda cooler
its easy to get boas cool enough but colubrids take it to a whole nother level.
btw riss my bud should be emakling you soon

Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
robin d.
you know i could edit that post but it is SO bad i think i will just leave it

Old 02-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Ross Payan - LA
Man I wish I could just find a nice cool area in the house =\ but like Robin said it's hot here even in Winter. We have been hitting 80*f off and on lately.

I'll be looking for that email Robin... thanks for the help. btw, I might need another favor from you, lol... I'll send you an email.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
robin d.
i got the process started already just gimme a couple of days

Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Jodi L Aherns
Ross,I keep my hogs at the same temp all year long and they breed just fine.I have gotten eggs the last two years,and will be putting them togeather in a month.The hot end 84-86f the cool side 80f,i do work with ones from S.Texas.Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Ross Payan - LA
Hehe, thanks Robin I owe you one =)

And Jodi, thanks for the input. Lots of people have told me that all they do is throw the hogs together and they get good clutches every year. At the same time other's have told me that the only get fertile eggs if they expose the snakes to a period of time with temps that get to at least the mid 60's.

Do you know anything about the fridge method? Also, do you think the locale of the hogs you work with probably has something to do with not needing any brumation? And finally do you know any others who have the same success as you w/out brumating?

Sorry for all the questions, I just REALLY want to get a good clutch of eggs or two this year.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:08 AM   #9
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Payan - LA
Hehe, thanks Robin I owe you one =)

And Jodi, thanks for the input. Lots of people have told me that all they do is throw the hogs together and they get good clutches every year. At the same time other's have told me that the only get fertile eggs if they expose the snakes to a period of time with temps that get to at least the mid 60's.

Do you know anything about the fridge method? Also, do you think the locale of the hogs you work with probably has something to do with not needing any brumation? And finally do you know any others who have the same success as you w/out brumating?
Interesting question. Do herps that live in areas where it doesn't get cold, still brumate? They may still go deep under ground where it is cold, due to cues like photo period, or something. Or are they active year round? Any field herpers here with experience in those parts of Texas or Florida where it may never get cold enough to brumate?
Jodi has Texas locality hognose that do fine without brumation, and corns are well known to double and even triple clutch without brumation. I wonder if you had some plain's Hognose from Northern Montana, or Corns from somewhere cold, if they would want to brumate, or would have to brumate to breed successfully?

Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
Wilomn
Interesting questions John. I've got some corns, this year will be generation 8, that I have been experimenting with. Some I cool and some I don't and feed all winter. Last year was the first time I tried it and the corns I cooled had larger clutches and more of them double clutched than the ones I did not cool at all.

I've only got 1.2 hogs that I'll be breeding this year. All wc from texas. I've had them about 5 years now. One female was a monster and has never laid an egg. Last year I found two little slugs that were hers. The smaller female has bred the last three years and double clutched the last two. I always cool them.

Next year I'll have a couple of more females that will be ready to go and I may try keeping one up for the winter to see what happens.

Very interesting stuff though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!