definition of a giant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
LeosForLess
definition of a giant

First off, whats the definition of a giant and supergiant, i kno a suepr weighs 120+ grams but what about the legnths and weights of both? And say i bought a giant from ron tremper that weighed 100 grams, then bought an identecal gecko from petco. Would both be considered giants or does it have to be fro mthe tremper line?

Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Xavier
Giant is a proven Co-Dominate morph so its not just based on size and lenght, supers are actually 110 grams plus as males and 90 plus grams as females many get 11'' or slight more.

Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
groovygeckos
Giant = Heterozygous Giant

Super= Homozygous Giant

Giant X Giant= 25% Super (same as recessive Het X Het breedings)

But it is not recessive. Since you can tell which are 'visible'-Hets by looking for size and length, it is a Co-dominant trait.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
g&mgeckos
Thanks for the explianation Dan & Xavier makes much more sense now.

So the Mack Snow gene works the same way?

Old 01-15-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
snowgyre
I'm new to the giant gene too, and since I will only be dealing with a heterozygous male this year, I'll get 50% giants and 50% normals. Is there any proof positive way to tell if your gecko is really a giant and not just a large normal? It seems like a pretty subjective trait to me. I'd like to sell geckos I think are giants as giants, but I also don't want to mislead my customers. Will I have to sell all my geckos as 50% chance of being giants? How have you guys dealt with this?

Old 01-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
Sauradon
I also faced a similiar problem this season. I sold the larger ones as "possible" giants. I think it is almost impossible to determine until about a year unless you are breeding a super, which all babies would be giants.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
Southwick Herps
I thought that as hatchlings, giants had noticeable larger (longer) tails than the normals...

Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
groovygeckos
Glenn, yes the Macks work the same, it IS alot easier to tell a Mack when you see it though.

Vanessa, actually if you were just to say that all of the babies were "Possible Giants", you would be correct. Like you said just include that they are 50% poss.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
groovygeckos
Chris, you could actually say that all babies are possibles, and assume the larger ones are the Giants.

Michael, yes you can tell by looking at some Giants upon hatching. They do have longer tails, legs, feet, noses, longer heads, and even longer bodies. It just isnt such a 100% noticable difference in all of them, as some of the Giants(Hets) do not get very large.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
AUBREY'S REPTILES
We usually start to see a difference after a few months. Our babies start to get longer in the torso/tail region and do set themselves apart from our regular stock. We have giant offspring that are now 7 to 8 months old ( both male and females) that are anywhere from 89 to 94 grams and that weight is distributed throughout the body. I find it hard to get accurate lengths with a measuring tape ( or string for that matter), but they have noticeable length to them. Most of those offspring are from our 130 gram super paired to a 90 gram female.
In these 2 photos (sorry for the crappy pics, I just ran down and shot them with a flash) I'm comparing our our first albino super ( 130 gram male) to albino super (103 gram female) offspring that is now 5 months old and weighs 52 grams, to a 5 month old normal offspring ( unrelated to the giant gene) and weighs 40 grams. In the photo and definitely in person, there's a difference. Both animals are fed and approximately eat the same amount. This is the experience we have had with ours, hope this helps.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!