Looking for some advice! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-25-2006, 11:18 PM   #21
unidaddy
Hey Kingetula,

I'm new to this forum too, but I've got a little hoggy and it amazes me how quickly his stomach will smooth out after a pretty big meal. Sounds to me like you got a healthy critter that is adjusting to the new digs. They are so cool, but from the looks of all the different experiences posted here, their eating habits are really variable. So far my '05 CB western is a true eating champ, but I know that I will be patient and in close contact with the experience you can find here whenever he stops eating. Lots of good people here. Hang in there.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #22
Nyoka77
Hi!
No, she still has not eaten....since febuary lol
i try once a week with new pinkies just in case she suddenly gets hungry, but no luck so far...
I picked her up today to show her the new pinkie, and i realized shes shedding again so....that explains why she hasn't eaten in the past couple weeks i guess.
Hopefully she will gobble one up after this shed like last time
Good luck with your baby... i'm glad you got her to eat
some of them just seem to be quite picky eaters!!
I can't wait for the day when i can actually watch my nyoka eat a live mouse haha

Old 06-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
Nyoka77
Also to add to my last post....
I think most of the pet stores lie about when their snakes eat....
I was told Nyoka ate one every week....I highly doubt that...
I wouldn't be suprised if she didn't eat at all while she was there.
Breeders sound like a better choice to me....for next time

Old 06-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #24
ladyserpent7
wow..good luck w/ her katie...as long as she doesnt look emaciated, shell be fine....its just a phase..scares us more than it scares them im sure..haha

Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #25
Nyoka77
hmm...how can i tell if shes emaciated looking...i'm not sure what to look for, I've always been able to see the lower part of the bones on her back.
She must be ok if shes shedding, that means shes growing...right?
haha sorry she really does make me worry

Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #26
unidaddy
Katie,

When I've seen some Ball Pythons at the LPS, it seems that they've got bunches of animals that were wild caught and sold to them a captive bred, and they end up with a few that haven't been sold that look emaciated. That means that their skin folds in a way that looks brittle, looks like there's too much skin for the body of the snake, kind of dehydrated and hollow.

Sounds like with the shedding event about to happen you should wait until after to try anything different than just presenting another pinkie. One thing I wonder after looking over the thread again is what besides shredded aspen do you have in there for substrate? What is that big stuff nearer the camera?

That's a pretty little girl......keep us posted on any eating after her shed. What a drama queen she is......good luck.

--Bob

Old 06-29-2006, 04:33 AM   #27
ladyserpent7
hmm...okay...few suggestions after the drama queen sheds..try feeding her a small fuzzy...and try doing it in a small paper bag..i dont know what you get your mouse in but thats what i get mine in..and i put giselle in that bag...she seems all uncomfortable in it..but theres basically no place to go and the mouse is right in front of her, so its easy for her to catch..one time i tried feeding her in just a little bigger bag and she didnt eat it..so she likes the clausterphobic thing..haha....anyway...see if she eats it in there..leave her in there for a couple hours..try putting the bag,,w/ her and the mouse still in it in the tank..but fold the top so she doesnt just try to leave once she sees she can....leave it overnight....see what happens....let me know..thats what i did for giselle and shes been eating normal since...let us know what happens

Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #28
Nyoka77
No Luck

Ohh boy....
Well, Nyoka shed successfully, this time her skin came off like a sock...it looks pretty
I came back after a weekend of leaving her alone and put a mouse in the cage with her. She immediately saw it and chased after it opening her mouth, but couldn't catch it. I guess after a little while she just decided to give up.
Then i tried a few other things and lastly put her in a paper bag with the mouse for a few hours....no luck
So, I figured the mouse might be alittle too quick or big for her so I purchased a pinkie yesterday and put it in her cage, Nyoka looks at it and hisses, but just crawls all over the mouse and tries to burrow under it. lol
I just put them in the bag, which i will leave overnight...
i feel awful about putting her in there and watching these mice die.
We shall see what happens tomorrow!

p.s. Is there any way nyoka could get sick of the mice always being around her and never want to eat? Maybe I should stop trying for a week and leave her alone?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 PM   #29
Nyoka77
Robert,
I only have the aspen in her cage...When i first got her I kept her in a 10 gallon tank with heat treated "Naturebark". Someone told me it might be too big for her right now, so now I keep her in the tank I got her in, inside the 10 gallon tank...My apartment is only about 13X13 so i try to condense as much as possible haha.
Nyoka has her own corner by the window though...shes a lucky girl

Old 07-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #30
Nyoka77
Talking yay!!!

Yay!! Nyoka finally ate for the second time!!

Thanks for everyones help..once again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!