Big Cat Sightings in Australia... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-21-2003, 02:22 PM   #1
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Big Cat Sightings in Australia...

Has anyone heard or read anything about these?

I've been doing some reading on them at a couple of cryptozoology websites about them, mainly Rex Gilroy's Mysterious Australia site(sorry, don't have a link handy but will dig one up asap). There have been several photos and even some film shot of these animals.

After looking at the photos and stills of the footage, I am convinced that the animal in question is nothing more than an escaped black panther or black jaguar, or possibly even a HUGE feral cat. It is fairly obvious when looking at it, though some have the idea that it could be a surviving marsupial cat(Thylacaleo). While I am not an expert, I don't agree with this at all. I am usually not a skeptic, but this one is in my opinion a little loony and reaching a bit too far. From what I've seen of fossil remains of the Thylacaleo, it does not have a massive resemblance to a modern big cat, though there are similar features, they don't add up to me(but if you don't want to wait try an internet search for big black cat sightings).

Anyway, I will get the links up as soon as I can, but any thoughts or ideas in the meantime?

Old 07-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
Pug
There seems to be a surge of big cat sightings in England lately. Check http://www.anomalist.com/ every so often and sure enough, there'll be another big cat terrorizing the country. Its not quite Australia, but oh well, close enough.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #3
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
There have actually been ALOT of big cat sightings in the UK over the last few years, and this year it seems I'm hearing about a new sighting at least once a week.

No, it's not Oz, but it is most definitely interesting.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
Gabriel Riley
Your post caught my interest immediatly. I thought I would share a local story about a big cat. I am from southern Idaho. We have a good population of cougars is this area. Anyway about ten years ago on my uncles ranch/farm in the fall during day light hours a farm hand named Zero was in one of the fields surrounding my uncles house and barn. He was in the process of feeding hay to the cattle. He came back to the barn fightened and hesitant to go back to the field. He discribed a large cat the size and build of a cougar with one sticking difference. He swore it was black. My uncle told him we have big cats in the area but they are not black. Zero insisted this cat was black.

Gabe Riley

Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #5
Geoff
Big cat sightings found this on the net not sure if its a photochop.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Geoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff
Big cat sightings found this on the net not sure if its a photochop.
:deer:
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
redknee
yup as far as i know the big cats spotted in england are panthers (black leopards)

people have been keeping them in captivity in england for a number of years, and there has been a few that has escaped + a few released on purpose by the dumbasses who shouldnt be allowed to keep these animals. Most of the ones released were probly let go because the authories probly found out about the owners keeping them without the D.W.A licence

Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
DragonCharm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Riley
Your post caught my interest immediatly. I thought I would share a local story about a big cat. I am from southern Idaho. We have a good population of cougars is this area. Anyway about ten years ago on my uncles ranch/farm in the fall during day light hours a farm hand named Zero was in one of the fields surrounding my uncles house and barn. He was in the process of feeding hay to the cattle. He came back to the barn fightened and hesitant to go back to the field. He discribed a large cat the size and build of a cougar with one sticking difference. He swore it was black. My uncle told him we have big cats in the area but they are not black. Zero insisted this cat was black.

Gabe Riley
May very well have been a cougar with a genetic anomoly like melanism or amelinism. There are amel animals, why not melanistic?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
420Geckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonCharm
May very well have been a cougar with a genetic anomoly like melanism or amelinism. There are amel animals, why not melanistic?
Melanistic Florida Panthers, Jaguars and Leopards aren't unheard of; so there's surely a few melanistic cougars out there.

Here's a couple links on big cat sightings in the UK...

Big Cats In Britain

Scottish Big Cat Trust

Old 03-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #10
Playnwifsnot
Wild cats in unnatural settings isnt a myth. Back in the 70's it was the in thing to own big cats as pet. In the 80s when the laws where changed and you could no longer won big cats without permits,instead of being fined big time,people let them loose. Cats like lynxes (bobcats) were found in the UK and this is a north american species of cat. No records or them getting loose from zoos or private owners with permits,but they were readily breeding in Britian. There have also been spotings of black panthers in Britian,but being they are more of a tropical species,not nearly as many spottings reported,my guess is they couldnt handle the cold climate to hunt profitably in the winter months.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!