Noob question- selecting a snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Vittoamp
Question Noob question- selecting a snake

Hello,
First of all, thanks for anyone that takes the time to help and gives me advice with my question.
I been wanting a snake for a while and slowly been doing research on breeds and requirements. Let me just say that there are tons of different breeds and variations of all, so finding the right one for me has been a task. I want to make sure I get it right the first time so I can be a active enthusiast and once I become well informed I can give knowledge to others like you have.
Anyways here is what I'm looking for:
~I have a 125 gallon tank so I'm thinking of a medium size snake or a smaller snake that can be housed in a pair... I heard that's looked down upon though.
~I would like something with a nice pattern and great look to it.
~I'm obviously a beginner, so something on my level of experience would be great.
Thanks again,
Vitto

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
AtrociousOne
in a 125 gallon, you could house carpet pythons, any form of BCI/BCC, you never "get it right" the first time though i'm afraid, no matter what you decide to go with, if you continue in this field you'll find something else you "should have gotten" and so on. so plan on having a number of snakes lol. i've found if you're looking for medium/larger snakes, boas are great to start with. my first snake was a normal ole BCI (columbian red tail) and he never did me wrong. but if you go in a different locality selection you may find a bit more aggression. or at least i have. so for a suggestion i would say just get a BCI. they're great.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Vittoamp
Thanks a lot! I will look much further into a BCI.
Have a great day!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Steve'O
Man, that is a tough question. I keep finding new ones, I just have to have. Daniel is right, they are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
Grimaldi123
i moved from alligators and caiman to snakes about a year ago and thought the same thing as you (get a smaller snake and try it right the first time) this led me to a ball python which was great, then a columbian, then i paired my boa, then an albino burm, then added in a handful of corns, grabbed a central american boa (by the way still my favorite), then a hognose with a personality that was unmatched lol, then a few tiger retics, and now about to get a lavender albino. my point is, like everybody else, that once you get this in your blood you arent going to have just one snake. but to be honest my favorite is still my central american boa which they say are a pain but mine has been awesome. the burm is and has always been a pain. im pretty new to this myself but for a first snake thats going to be a decent size id go either central american or columbian boa... hope i helped

Old 02-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Kiote_9
I started with a corn, then got a ball, then a boa...years later I have decided that colubrids don't do it for me although I have a few. Started getting burms last year and thought they were the pinnacle, then I got a hognose. It's a toss up between the burms and the hogs. Not buying any more burms, 3 is enough. Getting a rack for hoggies

Get what you think you like the best, after doing a lot of research on that type. I go for ease of care more than pretty skin, sweet temper more than activity level.

Realize early that most people end up with several snakes, they are great pets that take up little space, require minimal care, and you can get them frozen food that keeps in the freezer for a long time!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!