Wrestling reptile bites man's face at Gatorland - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 05-08-2003, 02:16 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
Wrestling reptile bites man's face at Gatorland

Score one for the gator!

----------------------

One of Gatorland's 7-foot alligators bit its handler on the face Wednesday afternoon as the man was working in the park's famed Gator Wrestling Show.

The accident took place at the south Orange County attraction's 800-seat arena, just before alligator trainer Nathan Sweeting, 26, was preparing for the show, said Lt. Joy Hill, spokeswoman for the state's Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Sweeting of Kissimmee was in fair condition with a gash in the face at Orlando Regional Medical Center. The alligator trainer has four years of experience handling the large reptiles as an entertainer at the park, Gatorland spokeswoman Michelle Harris said.

"[Nathan Sweeting] is smiling and in good spirits," Harris said. "He'll probably need some stitches."

The attraction will conduct an internal investigation. The alligator was not aggressive and will not be destroyed, Harris said. Gatorland reported the bite to Fish and Wildlife, in accordance with state regulations. Fish and Wildlife has no plans to cite the attraction, Hill said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orlando Sentinel

Wrestling reptile bites man's face at Gatorland

Old 09-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Rattlesnake
Did anyone ever hear anymore about this story?
Like "exactly" what he was doing when this incident happened?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Nero557
I've been there and saw the show before, and during his act, he puts his head in the gators open mouth, so I'm guessing that was probably when it happened... because other than that moment, he has the gator by the mouth the whole time... I actually have pictures of it (the show, NOT what happened in this article) then afterwards they let you sit on the gator and hold it by the mouth.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Rattlesnake
Thank you Nero for taking the time to reply to my question.
No wonder the gator bit him in the face. I would do the same if somebody was sitting on me and holding my jaws open. But the part I disliked the most is, when they invite the audience to sit on the gator.
Score one for the gators.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Nero557
Exactly, score one for the gators! Another thing I noticed while there was that when he picks one out to do the show with, they aren't very gentle at all with the gator, the whole time I saw the show, I kept thinking, I hope he gets bit for treating the gator like that...

Old 09-23-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Rattlesnake
Some people have no common sense at all. He's lucky that is all that happened to him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!