Toad catching methods - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
dolphinsue
Toad catching methods

I was just wondering if you all knew any good toad catching methods other than jusy walking around looking. I am hoping that there is some kind of trap I can make or something. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
nicolai
Just after sunset is the best time to look for toads. i dont know of any traps for toads. Why are you looking for toads? For your garden??

Old 05-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
hhmoore
eastern hognose food

Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
eastern hognose food

seriously???

Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
hhmoore
(check her other post)

Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
nicolai
why is it that reptiles eating mice, rats, bunnies, chicks, gunnia pigs, hamsters or fish doesnt bother me, But a snake eating a toad/frog would. I know it is the way of things in nature.
Yes i know there are plenty of reptiles and mammals that reptiles/amphibiams are a staple of thier diet.
I dont think I could keep a snake that i had to keep feeding toads too.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:41 AM   #7
hhmoore
I actually had pretty good luck switching easterns over to rat pups or hairless mice. A little bit of toad juice (which they are more than willing to offer up, in most cases) for scenting the first few times, then rarely a problem. I can't recall if I ever even tried furred mice...I had a good supply of hairless stuff, so probably not.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
nicolai
I guess i know why i never got into the hognoses!!!!

Old 05-30-2006, 01:31 AM   #9
joshwilson
It's been awhile since I've used this method, but it used to work for me. If you own your own land or have land owners permission, dig a hole and place a five gallon bucket so that the top of the bucket is level with the ground, then use some of the cheap plastic landscaping edging and put about six feet lengths on each side of the bucket, to funnel the toads into the bucket. If its placed in a good area traveling toads will follow the edging and drop into the bucket. Be sure to check it everyday though. Or you can wait for a nice rainy night and drive some country roads. Good Luck.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
old guy
The very best method

in most places of the USA is the buddy system. LOL ! Meaning : after a rain storm go driving with someone and take a less driven road. Whether it night ( the best ) or day there is normally numerous species of toads and frogs out on roadways. I've been out at night and saw so many toads after a rain that my swerving didn't matter as to still accidental hitting some. When looking to pick up I have these surgical gloves that the passenger wears in order to pick up the species. Why the gloves ? Because their ( passenger picker upper ) complains on the pee pee that the toad and frogs do in hand ! another > LOL !

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!