Anyone know what this is? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Lauren Summey
Question Anyone know what this is?

Hi,

This little snake was caught in Missouri in July, and I wasn't sure what kind it was... Does anyone here know, or have any ideas? The snake was fairly small (under 8-10 inches) and was caught at night. I'd just be curious to know what this litle guy was... Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

PS: In the second pic the snake is in a medium sized deli cup if that helps with size comparison... Sorry for the bad pics...

Old 09-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Bear Foot inc.
Looks like a blind or worm snake to me.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
old guy
a little foggy of pic but

a northern red belly snake. secretive and can be nocturnal but lives its life hiding and eating slugs, earth worms and soft bodied insects. never much over 10 inches in length. Can be found state wide but appears to be missing in parts of northern west of the big mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Summey
Hi,

This little snake was caught in Missouri in July, and I wasn't sure what kind it was... Does anyone here know, or have any ideas? The snake was fairly small (under 8-10 inches) and was caught at night. I'd just be curious to know what this litle guy was... Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

PS: In the second pic the snake is in a medium sized deli cup if that helps with size comparison... Sorry for the bad pics...

Old 09-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
kat_kies
looks like a flat headed snake check out www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake1.htm
it is the snakes of missouri website i live in missouri also and it is very usefull.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
kat_kies
Looks like a flat headed snake i also live in missouri so check out www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/herpetol/snake/snake1.htm i use this site alot its really helpfull and all about missouri snakes.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
Lauren Summey
Thanks

Thanks you all for your responses, they are appreciated!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
Spike119
from local and way it looks worm snake

Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
akellerhals
it's a worm snake, very common to our area. They're commonly found under anything that they can fit under. They're harmless.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #9
Lauren Summey
Thanks for all of the replies... I've been wondering what that little guy was!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Boidmom
It is a worm snake, but their status is "threatened"....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!