it's looking good - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
techgirl
it's looking good

well i have introduced the pair i want to breed. they have been chasing each other some and flaring at each other. the male has chosen a corner and has been blowing bubbles there. of course he completely ignored the lids i have floating or the plant i have there. he has chosen to blow the bubbles on the cord to the filter! so i have had to shut the filter off so to not destroy the nest. he is constantly having to rebuild it because the bubbles aren't lasting long. they look like air bubbles. this is normal right? i am still feeding them frozen bloodworms,glassworms and shrimp. the female is eating like a champ! the male who usually prefers his pellets is now taking the frozen. so hopefully i will be seeing babies!! wish me luck

Old 10-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
techgirl
oh by the way i'm also getting a pair of cambodian HM/HM genos. joy!!

Old 10-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
well i have introduced the pair i want to breed. they have been chasing each other some and flaring at each other. the male has chosen a corner and has been blowing bubbles there. of course he completely ignored the lids i have floating or the plant i have there. he has chosen to blow the bubbles on the cord to the filter! so i have had to shut the filter off so to not destroy the nest. he is constantly having to rebuild it because the bubbles aren't lasting long. they look like air bubbles. this is normal right? i am still feeding them frozen bloodworms,glassworms and shrimp. the female is eating like a champ! the male who usually prefers his pellets is now taking the frozen. so hopefully i will be seeing babies!! wish me luck
LOL...I almost missed this thread you should have just added onto the old thread because i think this is against the rules of the site...but No problem,We all gotta learn sometime
You should keep the pair seperated untill the nest is finished which is usually when the lid is over half full
But i would not let him build his nest there
I had a similar problem once and there are mixed opinions on what to do
I put the lid on top of the bubbles and kinda directed the existing bubbles under the lid,Also sometimes it helps to put a few holes in the lid
Yep, they look just like tiny air bubbles
You seem pretty attentive i think you will have a lot of babies swimming around soon

Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
oh by the way i'm also getting a pair of cambodian HM/HM genos. joy!!
Its also a rule of this site to not tease Dennis1...LOL just kidding
Hopefully you can post some pics i would love to see your Betta's
who knows maybe i will become one of your customers after you breed them

Old 10-27-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
techgirl
Talking

glad you told me, i had no idea. the reason i put them together was because the female was acting like she was willing and now she seems more interested in displaying than mating. the male is chasing her occassionally and working on the nest. should i separate them again? i need to do a water change too, is that gonna hurt? how will i be able to tell if there are eggs in those bubbles? man i thought my pregnancy was interesting. lol

Old 10-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
Dennis1
If she is displaying that may be a good sign, Keep a close eye on them if he gets to mean pull her out and put her byherself where she cant see him untill she looks more healthy and then move her to where she can see him for a few days and then start again
I really dont like to do water changes during the breeding process,But if you must do it in small amounts
Every good fish breeder needs a magnifying glass
Wait till you see them mate...lol..the male chases the female around and then wraps around her seemingly squeezing the eggs from her afterwards he picks them up from the bottom and spits them onto the bubble nest
Wow...I have forgotten untill now how much fun it was to breed fish

Old 10-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
techgirl
Thumbs up

well i caught them going at it today and i saw a few eggs drop!!!! woohoo!!! i guess tonight i'll separate them and give her a break and see what happens wow i'm excited.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Dennis1
Good luck and keep us posted

Old 10-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
techgirl
Talking we got babies!!

well woke up this morning and found little tails everywhere! looks like anywhere from 20 to 50 little guys hanging around and dad is having a heck of a time trying to keep them in the nest. can't wait to see what these little guys are gonna look like.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Dennis1
Cool
What are you going to feed the fry?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!