My pacman & Giant Pixie babies - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 AM   #71
mitch_rz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolai
what about a dry season to "cycle " them into breeding???
I thought that's what I posted about. I'm not sure when to start it, I know my frog started to hibernate in november/december'ish time. So I'll start the same process like that again.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #72
nicolai
OK i will try to cycle mine then to. Did you see any signs as far as knowing they were going into hibernation. Quit eating?? covering themselves with that mucus film stuff?

Old 07-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #73
ms_ramie22
reptile show this Sunday

Nicolai-- do you think there will be any ornate horned frogs at this show you're going to? (also, are they supposed to be harder to keep because they are more timid than a "regular" pacman?) Also, I just read on a website(don't ask me where) that hormones are used to cycle these frogs into breeding....maybe you can do it naturally...

Old 07-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #74
mitch_rz
Yeah, my frog puts up his eyelid-like membrane over his eye and just sits in his hole. These frogs can go naturally into hibernation by just making their bedding dry. And that's why I think it's critical for the humidity level of the tank to go down to the 60 range (usually it's high 70's to 80) so that the water from the bedding can evaporate. This was done accidentally last year with my frog because I was at school and I had my father take care of him. My father just kept feeding him steak and didn't spray the tank. I didn't even have a heat lamp at this time and not even an undertank heater. These frogs are very hardy and can withstand abnormal temperatures for quite some time. Anyway, since there was no more water to be sprayed in the tank, the bedding became dry (the colour was a light brown) and the frog got ready to hibernate. He didn't build up a mucus layer over his eyes, I think it takes at least 5 months for that to build up. But this lasted from January to April when I got back from school I was determined to wake him up so I purchased the light fixture and a 60W bulb. My frog went into the water to take off his mucus cover of his skin. I also think it's essential as soon as they come out of hibernation you need to get them eating again. So I put in some live crickets to start up his appetite and it worked.

So to recap:

- Just let the bedding air out naturally, allowing the water to evaporate from it.
- Keep feeding your frog while this is all happening.
- When your frog has his eyelid-like membrane over his eyes and doesnt seem to want to be bothered, I think this indicates he/she is preparing for hibernation.
- You can try feeding your frog in hibernation, but the frog will most likely not eat.
- Just leave him be for a couple of months and monitor his status.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #75
mitch_rz
I should probably add, just keep the undertank heater underneath his hole during hibernation. Lights and stuff like that may just irritate him during hibernation because when these guys hibernate, they do it in holes where it is dark.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #76
ms_ramie22
Got Two!

Ha! I just bought two frogs, supposed to be shipped on Monday!! The one is an ornate horned frog(supposed to be, and if it's not, that's ok,too, cuz he's cute) and a fantasy frog C.cranwelli x C.cornuta, I guess. Now just to wait til they get here...

Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #77
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ramie22
Nicolai-- do you think there will be any ornate horned frogs at this show you're going to? (also, are they supposed to be harder to keep because they are more timid than a "regular" pacman?) Also, I just read on a website(don't ask me where) that hormones are used to cycle these frogs into breeding....maybe you can do it naturally...

hormones are used to cycle them?? You mean sameboby is giiving them hormones aor they use their own hormones??

I am hoping there will be ornates at the show!!! It would make my daughters day for me to come home with one!!

Old 07-07-2006, 08:59 PM   #78
nicolai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ramie22
Ha! I just bought two frogs, supposed to be shipped on Monday!! The one is an ornate horned frog(supposed to be, and if it's not, that's ok,too, cuz he's cute) and a fantasy frog C.cranwelli x C.cornuta, I guess. Now just to wait til they get here...

whoah now, hold the boat!!!! you got a ornate and a fantasy frog?? I wanna see pics when you get those!!! does the fantasy frog have those real high horns????

Old 07-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #79
mitch_rz
http://www.pueblozoo.org/archives/jun04/feature.htm another site on the african bull frog. It seems they live a very short active period.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:43 PM   #80
nicolai
wow, there some good info on that site. You see where it said they sometime hibernate for a year or more. Geesh talk about fat storage!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!