How do you feed your beardies crickets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
twisted1
How do you feed your beardies crickets?

Do you just throw your crickets in the vivarium? That's what I do but someone with a video on youtube had them in a glass dish where they couldn't crawl out and he said that they can't jump when they are on glass. The beardies could get in and out with no problem. That would seem easier since the crickets wouldn't be getting anywhere else.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
dragongirl6
There are lots of different ways to feed them, and a lot of it depends on your set up. For instance, if you are using grouted tiles, feeding them in their cage is great because the crickets can't hide anywhere. If you are using reptile carpet or paper towels, I would recommend feeding in a separate container because the crickets tend to crawl underneath the substrate. If you are using sand (which is NOT recommended) you definitely should feed them in a separate container so they don't eat huge mouthfuls of it.

Here is my cricket container. I don't feed mine in it because I have between two and ten beardies at a time and I don't want to spread germs around. If you do, just make sure there are no cricket gels or small pieces of egg carton that could be eaten by accident.

It also helps to hold the heat lamp above the tub while he's eating. Light and heat increase their appetite. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
twisted1
Thanks dragongirl

Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Extreme Dragons
Mine have always lived on sand and have never seen any of them eat huge mouthfuls of it, I dont understand why everyone says this. If you use the playsand sold at Lowes and Home depot its sifted and cleaned. Its fine sand and shouldnt cause impaction. Dont use the sand that you could find on a beach ( too big ). I have started to keep the crickets in there own bin and putting the dragons in there and therefore dont have to chase down all the crickets, just the dragons.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
dragongirl6
I am not going to have a big sand argument. I just wanted to say that I do rescue and have seen SO MANY sand impacted dragons (some have even died or had to be put to sleep) because of sand impaction (yes, even on play sand).

Not to mention the fact that you CAN'T clean it and unless you are replacing all the sand and washing it at least once a week, it is a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and harmful germs. I can wash out reptile carpet, wash tiles, or replace paper towels every week. That is something that pretty much no one does with sand.

If you sift out the visible stuff, you can just pretend there are no germs in it, right?

If it works for you, go ahead. But I wouldn't ever suggest it to someone who obviously doesn't have a ton of experience with beardeds and doesn't know the risks involved.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Beardiepal
No arguments...

Crix I don't feed unless I have hatchlings...I hate them, they stink, they are messy, and they eat their young, they carry pinworms...with hatchlings because there are 4-5 to a tank...I dust them in a baggy and then drop only a few at a time...Never leave crix as you all probably already know because they can bite and feed on your dragon as they sleep. I have to agree with Anna, I would feed them in a separate container if I fed them to adults...and your substrate choice is yours....I will never use sand. Take care all, Beth

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Extreme Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragongirl6
I am not going to have a big sand argument. I just wanted to say that I do rescue and have seen SO MANY sand impacted dragons (some have even died or had to be put to sleep) because of sand impaction (yes, even on play sand).

Not to mention the fact that you CAN'T clean it and unless you are replacing all the sand and washing it at least once a week, it is a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and harmful germs. I can wash out reptile carpet, wash tiles, or replace paper towels every week. That is something that pretty much no one does with sand.

If you sift out the visible stuff, you can just pretend there are no germs in it, right?

If it works for you, go ahead. But I wouldn't ever suggest it to someone who obviously doesn't have a ton of experience with beardeds and doesn't know the risks involved.
For not wanting to have a big sand argument, you sure did argue alot. I have had my dragons on sand for 3years and have never had any type of impaction problem or for that matter any problem at all. I have never seen any of them eat any of it. I just dont think that you should tell someone to never use sand, when it has obviously worked for many people. When they go to the bathroom, I scoop up a handful of sand to help get all of the germs out. I also sift the sand and change it when needed. I have tried tiles and I dont like them. I would come home from work and my dragons would be covered in feces where they just played in it. Complete mess. There are several items you could use for substrate, the odd thing to me is your better off finding a suitable product at Lowes then a petstore.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
sairhead21
back on topic

I usually drop them in their enclosure's a few at a time until they don't want anymore. Easy peasy.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
sairhead21
Oops

I forgt to mention that I keep mine in a seperate tub. I think leaving them in the enclosure all the time (where the beardie could see them) would be stressful to him/her.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #10
twisted1
I had put them on glass and they didn't jump but they climbed out because the edge was low. I need to find one with some other type of edge. Just trying to make things easier for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!