Good beginning invert? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Alex G
Good beginning invert?

Considering getting an invert of some kind because of their small size, ease of care, and having always been fascinated by them. I like mantids best, but I read they live less than a year usually, and I don't really want to buy an entire setup for something that'll only be mature for a couple months and then die. I'm a little leery of T's only because all the T's I've seen are more like owning a critter keeper full of dirt than an animal. So I guess what I'm looking for is something that'll live for a little while, and will be visible semi-often to often. Preferably something that doesn't have extreme environment needs as well, since this'll be my first (real) invert.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
John Apple
You live in Arizona so you can probably collect steatoda or parasteatoda which are really neet spiders to own , related to latrodectus somewhat and very easy to keep.
As far as tarantulas go a ten gallon aquarium with a nice G pulchripes is a site to behold [these get big are colorful and somewhat tame]

Old 02-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Alex G
I'm leery of arachnids though, the one my science teacher has is always under this mound of dirt, she gives it food and water once in a while and never once sees it around. Not sure what kind it is because it was found in the wild and she doesn't pick it up and take it out, but I don't want an insect I'll never see.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
John Apple
Well pepper....i would do some research on what you can get....there are many tarantulas that are out in the 'open' and rather active
go to
tarantulaslair.com and ask a few questions to the folk there

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
pythonjim
when I turned 8 years old, my mom got me a mexican red knee tarantula.
this was the greatest pet I have ever had. she lived 7 years to the day that I got her.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Alex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Apple View Post
Well pepper....i would do some research on what you can get....there are many tarantulas that are out in the 'open' and rather active
go to
tarantulaslair.com and ask a few questions to the folk there
The only definitive thing I can find is that mature males are usually out a lot because they're cruisin for tha ladeez . You seem pretty knowledgeable about T's, what's your personal favorite that a T noob like me could handle setting up? Since I guess I just need to shoot for a male adult.

And what about other insects like mantids and such?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
The only definitive thing I can find is that mature males are usually out a lot because they're cruisin for tha ladeez . You seem pretty knowledgeable about T's, what's your personal favorite that a T noob like me could handle setting up? Since I guess I just need to shoot for a male adult.

And what about other insects like mantids and such?
My favorites for newbs are some of the grammastola sp., not necessarilly porteri or cala but some of the other more colorful ones like ihingeri.
there are some acanthoscurria sp like geniculatta that are colorful and out in the open a lot as adults. they are a bit more nervous than grammastola but definately worth a look.....
There are a large number of tarantulas to choose from.It can be somewhat of a headache trying to pick but a lot of fun.
other incects I don't do to much with as you say they are 'very' seasonal and short lifespans.
There are some spiders like latrodectus [widows] and loxoceles [violin spiders] that live longer but extreme caution should be exercised with these. I have some for my personal collection and they are my favorites.
Some of the larger huntsman spiders live many seasons but are insanely fast.

As far as favorite tarantula genus goes it would have to be grammastola for beginners, my personal favorite in there is chalcothrix

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Katherine Von Nessen
I recently got hooked on Aphonopelma species. My favorite is the Flagstaff Orange. They are beautiful creatures and soooo gentle. I hold mine a lot and she's never aggressive. I think she was wc from AZ. I put a hide in for her, but she never uses it. She prefers to be out and moving around where people can see her.
Another great invert I like are the flat rock scorpions, or if you're looking for something that can't sting or bite, try a vinegaroon or tailess whip scorpion. They are all great pets and very interesting to watch.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
jmiller
You could try some of the larger species of cockroach. Hissers are fun to keep, live a long time, and are easy to keep.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!