question on mealworm bedding for breeding.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
raiquee
question on mealworm bedding for breeding..

Hey guys, i know a lot of people get bran for their mealworms, but would "quick oats" be sufficent? Will they still lay in and eat this? I have two massive containers and nothing to do with them, so i was wondering Thanks!

Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Desire', I do not breed worms but I keep them in a mixture of quick oats and cody's gut load. They stay in this while also being offered carrots, sweet potatoes and oranges, untill they have served their purpose. LOL

I have kept them like this for up to a month before they start to pupate.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Supahypegex
I use quick oats and mixed grain baby cereal for my mealworms.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
groovygeckos
Yep, and im guessing these ones will only be for pupating(?) Then I wouldnt really be worried about the value of what they are eating as much. No need to give them anything more than they need unless they are feeders. Any grain will do, and might just be a little cheaper than a 'gutload' would be taboot.

Wheatbran, oatmeal, cornmeal, probably some others, but anything really.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
LeosForLess
I use some coffee grounded dog food mixed with oats and things. For beetles i use fine ground things to sift out the babie mealies when there old enough

Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
LadyGecko
I also use oats -gut load -mixed dry baby cereal -and greens -veggies- fruits
etc
with having alot of omnivores and a herbivore I have loads of extra veggies around for moisture for the bugs
they get collars-turnip-endive -sweet potato etc

I recently stumbled onto the fact that if you put an egg crate-from your crickets in with the meal worms they will crawl up onto it and no more sifting for meal worms
i just take the egg crate and dump it into a low flat box and put my calcium on it and them dump that into a plastic cup and walk around the house distributing mealworms to everyone
i can't believe that i hand picked them out of the meal for so long before I stumbled onto this
DUH!!
LOL
Sandy

Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
LeosForLess
Do you just set that in on top or bury it?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #8
LadyGecko
set it right on the top of their bedding and they crawl right up into the nooks and crannies just like superworms do
i do know why it never dawned on me earlier to do that with mealies because I keep my supers that way
Hope that this helps someone else as much as it has helped me out

Sandy

Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
raiquee
Good fact Sandy! I was also going to use this bedding for the mealworms themselves, but gutload with fresh veggies and things. This is still okay? I am ordering 5000 from sunshine mealworms and i want to TRY and grow my own. I can make pretty much anything breed but BUGS. I have the darnest time!

Old 01-07-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
DontShootMe
I have about a million beetles but no eggs why?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!