Interested in reptiles, but nervous about the longevity - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
sarcasticLynx
Interested in reptiles, but nervous about the longevity

Hi there everyone! I have been looking into reptiles for a few years now. I work with them at my current job, so I'm definitely familiar with them, but the one part I'm not is just how long they live. I've been keeping fish for 4 years, and hermit crabs for just one.

The snake I have been interested in for a while is the Kenyan Sand Boa, but after reading their lifespan can reach for over 20 years, I am a little hesitant. I mostly worry about losing interest and big life changes that would cause me to have to give it away. Has anyone else had this same problem or worry? Do you guys have any input on whether or not it would be a good idea to get one?

Old 03-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Insomniac101
I wouldn't let their lifespans stop you. If you want a snake, and are able to care for it properly, I'd go for it. Hopefully, you won't get bored with it, but you can sell it if that happens. Most people start with one, then get another, then the next thing you know, you have a dozen!

Probably, you should stay away from hatchling aldabra tortoises though.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
sarcasticLynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
I wouldn't let their lifespans stop you. If you want a snake, and are able to care for it properly, I'd go for it. Hopefully, you won't get bored with it, but you can sell it if that happens. Most people start with one, then get another, then the next thing you know, you have a dozen!

Probably, you should stay away from hatchling aldabra tortoises though.
Lol! 200 years for those guys. Reptiles are truly amazing with their lifespans. Thank you for your input!

Old 03-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
nickolasanastasiou
I agree with Kathleen.

I am primarily a tortoise keeper, so longevity is an expectation for me, but I am project-focused at this point in life over being pet-focused, so that involves colony/project rearrangements over time. If ever you have to part with a reptile, you can find it a new qualified owner. As long as you do right by the animal in terms of care, it is okay to take a new direction in life down the road.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
kenyan sand boa