Help please?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Kimi
Help please?!

I bought two gecko's a last winter..I had some growing up but Ive never had a male/female....My girl has always been small and I thought if she was to have eggs I would easily notice but yesterday while cleaning out the sand I noticed two eggs in the sand..Will they be okay? Do I need to move them away from the dad and into a container with moss? a pet store I asked said they'll be fine in the cage but I never go by what they say..they're always wrong! I know that the female should have been placed in a containter with moss and what not but are the eggs bad now? they don't look completly round..more intented on one side but they are very new seeing as how I check them everyday and they werent there before..they laid them under the house so will they get cold? please help with any info you can give! message back here or email me kimi_wood@hotmail.com
I do know they are female/male because the people I got them off said they had already had babies before

Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Cat_72
No, the eggs will not hatch in the cage.

They will need to be removed, placed in a container of some sort of moistened hatching medium (I prefer Perlite, but vermiculite or HatchRite work well too), and incubated at a steady temp to have a chance of them hatching. If they are still round and white, they do sound fresh....they could still be very much viable, but you're going to need to set them up fairly quickly to keep them that way.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Kimi
They are very very white but they're not round...does that mean they;re not good? or do they get rounder when the babies grow?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Cat_72
Well, how dented in are they? Sometimes if not too badly dented, they kind of "spring back" once you get them into properly damp hatching medium.

Or are they just oddly shaped altogether?

Old 05-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
Kimi
One is more dented then the other ones..one is pretty dented on the one side..All I have here is Repti-bark and i sprayed it down with water a bit and put it in the incubater because it's a long weekend and all the stores here are closed...will that be okay til tomorrow morning? It's really all I can find..

Old 05-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
Kimi
They look like the eggs on this page..
http://www.dcpaleo.org/Leisure/Anima...pardGecko.html
but it says those ones are dried? so Im not sure if they'll be okay or not...but the ones i have are still very very white

Old 05-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
Cat_72
Well.....it's always worth a shot, if you think they have a chance. Just make sure there is plenty of humidity in their container, they might plump up for you.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Kimi
Okay..I will for sure..thankyou SO much for all your help! I'll be sure to post back if anything happens

Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Cat_72
Please do, I'd like to hear how they turn out for you!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Golden Gate Geckos
Kimi, if our female is too small and continues to lay eggs, it could cause serious health problems. Is she housed with a male? If so, it might be a good choice to separate them until she is at least 50 grams in weight.

If the eggs are limp, like a water balloon, then they are not fertile. Fertile eggs firm up to a leathery consistency, and will require a constant temperature of about 85 degrees and enough humidity to keep the incubation substrate damp, but not wet. In either case, laying eggs is very demanding on the female's body, so make sure she had plenty of calcium.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!