Leopard geckos - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
beccarasue
Please don't anyone take me the wrong way. I am not trying to be rude or anything. I have read alot about them and how to care for them. I have books on them. I just knew that people on here have bred them and know what to do. I am getting an incubator. It just won't be here for a couple of weeks. I read how to check if they are ovulating and forming eggs before breeding that they can have there eggs sooner. One of them fit the bill. She has been bred now and I just wanted to know what to do if she laid some before the incubator gets here. I appreciate all the responses and help that I can get. I have read a lot about them but it is better to talk one on one with people who have been where I am at before. I just want to give the best that I can right now. I am sorry if anyone thought that I was getting an attitude. That is not what I meant. I appreciate all help. I just can't change it now that she has been bred that is why I needed answers on a temporary fix. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:16 PM   #12
reptirus
Im glad to hear that you did do the research before hand :-) Your right it does help to ask people who have been there already even after reading up on things, its hard to cover everything, so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask, im only a phone call/email away

Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
beccarasue
Thanks for the help. I love these lizards. They are awesome. I know that one has been bred and I think that one was pregnant when I got her but her abdomen slowly changed and she never laid her eggs. Is that possible? She seems to be fine though. She has shed recently and is eating well still. I haven't read much about a situation like that. Thanks again!!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
reptirus
If a gecko is gravid (pregnant) it is noticible. Sometimes you have to slightly bend her back to see the eggs real clearly, but they are visible. A good side note on this, eggs and fat pockets are 2 different things. they look alike at times, but fat pockets are side by side, eggs are side by side, but always staggered(1 higher than the other) Here is a good pic Felicia has on her site of both ovulation and eggs

http://www.leopardgeckobreeder.com/ovulation.html

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #15
beccarasue
Hopefully it was just her fat pockets then. I know that it looked like the pic but I don't know if it was exactly like you described.. As long as she is ok that is good. I really appreciate your help.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #16
1Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccarasue
Well I thought I could get some help here but I guess not. I am not trying to be rude. I know that I need the incubator but I just wanted to know what to do incase they lay eggs before I get it. I wanted to know how to make it using the hatchrite or vermiculite as a temporary solution. I have done research and the reason I am trying to breed them is to make some money. I know that they are of age, they are healthy and a good weight. I just thought that I could learn some more off this site since everyone here is experienced in them. Thanks
Good luck. A cheap incubator can be built with a styrofoam cooler, flexwatt, a thermostat, and a thermometer. As far as making money, if you are breeding some nice morphs you can make a few bucks, but most morphs will only bring the joy of raising a hatchling and a financial deficit. Unless you raise them in mass and compromise their health. Then you may make a very small amount on the positive side.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #17
MKGeckos
beccarasue - I saw you mention you are trying to make some money by breeding. Here is a very good thread about it from some of the bigger breeders... http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=78298

Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #18
beccarasue
Technically I am not raising them soley for money. I bought them from my local pet store and he said that he would buy all the babies. I love lizards so I thought that I would raise them so that I could get the best of both worlds. I can do something that I enjoy and make a few bucks. I want to save the money and buy some of the better morphs too. I was going to raise the crested geckos too but I only have one juvie so far. I figured I would wait on them until I get some experience with the others. I don't go to work so I have a lot of time to spend caring for them. They are just a cool hobby. Thanks for the info!

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
1Bob
Awsome deal! Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #20
beccarasue
Thanks for the support!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!