Leopard geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
beccarasue
Leopard geckos

Hi. I am new to breeding leopard geckos. Or any lizard for that matter! I have one male and 3 females. Can anyone give me suggestions on a homemade incubator. I don't have the money right now to buy one but I have heard that you can make one using tupperware. I just need to know how to and what are different things that you can use. Any information on breeding them will be useful. Thanks a bunch!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Stephies_Leos
if you can't afford an incubator then I would wait on breeding. It takes money and equipment to have the proper set up for successfully hatching the eggs and caring for the babies. I would separate the male, save my money, and start doing your research before actually breeding. It will be worth it in the end. Here are a few websites to get you started.
http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm

Old 05-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
MKGeckos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephies_Leos
if you can't afford an incubator then I would wait on breeding. It takes money and equipment to have the proper set up for successfully hatching the eggs and caring for the babies. I would separate the male, save my money, and start doing your research before actually breeding. It will be worth it in the end. Here are a few websites to get you started.
http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingLeopards.htm
Beat me to it...

I agree 100% with what Stephies_Leos said.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
reptirus
The incubator is the cheap part, you can get a hovabator for like $50, but as everyone else stated, you need to be able to house all the geckos you hatch, with 3 females you could end up with more than 30 hatchlings, are you sure you are able to handle that?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
beccarasue
Well I thought I could get some help here but I guess not. I am not trying to be rude. I know that I need the incubator but I just wanted to know what to do incase they lay eggs before I get it. I wanted to know how to make it using the hatchrite or vermiculite as a temporary solution. I have done research and the reason I am trying to breed them is to make some money. I know that they are of age, they are healthy and a good weight. I just thought that I could learn some more off this site since everyone here is experienced in them. Thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
beccarasue
I have plenty of cages.. I bought the geckos for cheap and then I had some unexpected bills before I could get the incubator. So it will be another month before I can get it. I just wanted to know how to do it without the incubator in case they lay eggs before I get it. I still plan on getting it just wanted to be prepared so that if they lay any I can care for them until I get the incubator. I know that one has been mated by my male. The others I don't know about. I just wanted to be prepared so that I don't lose any babies. Thanks for the response

Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
ByRandom
Either way, with our without an incubator, you will have to use vermiculite or perlite (hatchrite hasn't had that rave of reviews), so I don't understand that part of your post. You will have to have a heating element, for one. You will have to have a container that is insulated (Styrofoam, old refrigerator unit). You will need a way to control the heating element (thermostate/rheostat/dimmer). You will need a thermometer to make sure you're maintaining proper temperatures. Most incubators need to be set up a week or so in advanced to make sure that your temperatures are stable.

You could, hypothetically, incubate at room temperature. However, low temperatures can kill eggs as easily as high temperatures.

So, in summation, you should have waited until you had the incubator to breed the geckos. Breeding geckos isn't a way to make "easy money". It requires time, patience, space, supplies (cages/racks/incubators/vitamins/calcium) and most important of all money.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
ByRandom
Oh yeah! There's no reason to get an attitude with people due to them giving you suggestions on what you need to do. Instead, take their advice.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
ssscales
You could always use an igloo cooler and put together a simple incubator. Then when you're done, just replace everything with some beer!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
reptirus
I was not trying to beat your idea down on shue you away, I just wanted to make sure that you realize that you could possibly end up with over 30 hatchlings just from those 3 females. The incubator is pretty important, if your room temp is over 75 and is constant, you could incubate them in the room if you didn't receive your incubator yet, but its still risky. Since you already have the geckos, im guessing that you have already read up on normal care for them, care for breeders is pretty much the same. You want to make sure you are suplimenting them, it is important. I use hatchrite for incubation medium, i havent seen any problems with them yet. I have never used anything else though. Im assuming you know how to check for ovulation and eggs? If a female has eggs, you need to give her a moiste hide to lay them in. I use eco earth in a sandwitch container with the entrance hole cut in the top.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!