Lighting for Iguana... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
RiffDawg15
Lighting for Iguana...

I have a 100w Powersun Mercury Vapor UVB/UVA/Heat Lamp, a zoo med 150w Basking Lamp.

Is that adequate enough lighting for my iguana?? He is about 1 foot in length, looks very healthy, eats like a lil pig, and is very active.

His basking spot is around 93-95 degrees F, and the colder side of his tank is around 72-75 degrees F and the bottom of his tank under his basking spot is around 88 degrees F.

Let me know what you think, anything I need to change or anything that I may be doing wrong. This is my first Iguana, I researched everything I could find for a few weeks before getting him.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
RiffDawg15
Also I have a 100w sunglo daylight lamp for UAV

Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
RiffDawg15
And here are some pics of the lil guy....I named him Popeye because of his right front arm, it was swollen when I got him. His wrist is swollen the most and has a brown spot on it. The whole right arm is bigger than his left arm. I think its a case of MBD and am working to heal the lil guy. You can see this is some of the pics.

My girlfriend was petting his head and his body and he fell asleep right in her hand!

Here are some pics of his swollen right arm.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
snakewrangler
The PowerSuns are decent, but I would recommend an upgrade if the iguana is suffering from MBD.

The T-Rex Active UV is the "consumer" grade self-ballasted UV bulb made by Westron. They are the manufacturers of the "zoo" grade lamps- the heavier duty ones with the external ballasts.

The T-Rex bulbs can be ordered from just about any herp supplier online. Should run you about $50.

Also, the light is only half the battle. Make sure he/she is getting the proper diet. Get that leg checked out. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!