Would you consider this healthy and well started..? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Fangthane
Would you consider this healthy and well started..?

I picked up a baby sav monitor last night. I could tell right off the bat that it was skinny and lethargic, but it was also somewhat chilly so I decided to take it home and see if it would rally after being heated up. Today it's still just as lethargic as last night. It seems too weak to even hold it's head up and definitely doesn't seem to have the strength to chase crickets. I've also tried cat food which it seems to be interested in, but just plops his head down in it and never opens his mouth.

I emailed the seller and he stated that ALL his babies are in this condition when he gets them and basically that there's nothing wrong with it. Please check out the following pics and video and let me know if I'm over reacting or if this thing truly is as sickly and pitiful as I think it is.

Here's a small video clip:

Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
If that monitor was in the same exact condition represented in those photos as when you received it, then I'd have to agree that it was neither healthy, nor well started. Looks dehydrated as well. What are the temps you have it set up at in it's enclosure? Has it made any attempt to drink at all?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Fangthane
I just picked it up last night about 2 hours before those pics were taken. Right now it's in a kritter keeper plastic container so I can't really offer it much of a gradient. The warmer side (1/4 of the keeper is sitting over a UTH) is 90*F and it trails off a few degrees to about 85*F on the far end.

Last night I did find it sprawled out in the water bowl but I never witnessed it actually drinking. I'm keeping it on paper towel and have been making it a point to keep it moist. It's been spending a good amount of time with it's head laying on the cat food. A few times I saw it's mouth open a crack so it may have managed to get a few nibbles down. It's a little more active today but it still looks pitifully weak and it's steps are wavering and clumsy.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
MedusaCoils
Wow, that is a pitiful looking little creature.

I could be way off, but I will suggest it, just in case.

Does it always keep it's eyes closed like that? Do you know if the person you purchased if from used compact fluorescent bulbs. I ask because I know that some compact fluorescent UVB bulbs can cause some of the symptoms that this monitor is expressing, but so can't so many other things. I am not sure if that is the case, but it's something to consider.

Here is a link explaining Photo-Kerato-Conjuctivitis;

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

I hope that the little does pull through.

Wayne

Old 06-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Fangthane
It's eyes are generally closed the majority of the time so far as I've noticed. I don't know specifically what kind of bulbs he used, if any. When I emailed him today expressing my disappointment with the animal he insisted that ""every batch of savannahs when i get them are like that" and to "just keep it under heat light". Right now I'm not using any type of UV, just regular incandescent bulb for ambient light.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
SPJ
I wouldn't be surprised if that sav is dead in a day or 2.
That thing is in TERRIBLE shape.
Whoever sold it to you and says that is how they are supposed to look needs to get a 2x4 upside his head.
Post the scums name so I, and others, will know what scum to NEVER deal with.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
MedusaCoils
I don't know a lot about Monitors! I was just trying to help! When we purchased our Frilled Dragon, he was great when I first got him and I put one of those CF bulbs over him for UVB. That is what he ended up looking like after only a few days. It took him about a week to recover once I removed the bulb.

I really hope this turns out well!!

Wayne

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Fangthane
I'm doing what I can to try to avoid it, but I think you're right SPJ. In fact the last line of the email I sent to him today was something along the lines of "my gut tells me this poor guy will be lucky to make it a few more days". I think sometimes people go overboard when excusing euthanasia..but I'm seriously considering just putting it out of it's misery.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Miss Tuniwha
OMG, that poor poor baby.

please let us know what that guys reply is. If it is ANYTHING other then apologetic and so on.. you best warn the rest of us!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Fangthane
Well, bad news. About 10 minutes ago I went and checked on him and found it laying on it's back and writhing weakly. I laid him right side up again, and decided it was time to euthanize him, but found him dead a few minutes later so I didn't even get the chance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!