Artificial Heat Sources - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
AZ Dragoon
Artificial Heat Sources

Need a little help with this subject. Since I am just getting back into the swing of things and attempting to reconstitute a BC breeding program, I would appreciate any recommendations, website url's, etc., for products suitable for temperature regulation in BC cages. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Old 06-21-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
AZ Dragoon
There was one product that I used in the early 80's that I was very satisfied with. It was a square flat dark brown plastic item that contained a heating element approximately 18"X18" in size and was available with a thermostat as a option. It was designed specifically for reptile cages and was waterproof. I forget the manufacturer's name and I am not sure if I would recognize it after this many years, but from my description someone should possibly have a idea if these are still available.

Kevin

Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
lilroach56
that would be a KANE heat mat. you can buy them at bigappleherp.com and lllreptile.com. They are kinda pricey though.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:00 AM   #4
MGReptiles
Have you thought about using flexwatt? Its also avail at bigapple.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
bcfos
I use radient heat panels controled by a Helix which also controls the light phase. The Helix allows for day time temps and drops of night temps. I had some kane mats but tried the heat panels on my ball pythons and acually liked the way they worked better.

Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
Hognose_311
http://www.redtailboa.net/

Old 07-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
AZ Dragoon
Thanks for the replies so far folks! Looks like inflation is out of control on those heat mats - I used to pay only $30-35 each retail for'em back in the 80's and that included shipping! And with the planned purchase of 2-4 dozen adult BCC, I will have to look for something a little cheaper.

Kevin

Old 07-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Lucille
Heat tape is the way to go, it is relatively inexpensive, easy to set up, and if put on a thermostat and timer controls energy costs as well.

Old 10-25-2004, 02:52 AM   #9
MGReptiles
Johnsons Controls for me

Thats how I use mine as well. I use the johnsons thermos and a digital timer for a night drop if I need one..Best bang for the buck.....

Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #10
Mark and Aimee
We use flexwatt on the majority of our cages and racks... But also use some radiant heat panels (Pro Products and Helix), as well as a few manufactured heating pads from different companies.

Of all, I'd avoid the Zoo Med heat pads. I've seen way too many malfunction.

Mark

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!