Shredded aspen? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #1
starwarsdad
Shredded aspen?

Where can I buy shredded aspen? What I have found so far is chipped, and I am not crazy about it. It seems VERY dusty.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
ms_terese
We have only been able to find it at local landscaping companies. However, it's hit and miss even there. If you find a good source online somewhere, let me know!

Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
jglass38
I use the Aspen chips from the local pet store. I havent noticed them to be dusty at all. Are you sure its Aspan you are using?

Jamie

Old 12-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
MR_Jungle_Mist
Dean-

Shredded aspen is made by American Excelsior Company.

Their Aspen Bedding is the small stingy/shavings type. Their phone number is on the site and I'm sure you can call them to find a local distributor. We're lucky enough to have a local Feed Store that carries it but, as Terese said, it's hit and miss as to if they have any when we need it.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
jglass38
Nice find Steven. Thanks for the info. I have a feed supply place down the street from me. I am going to stop in and see if they have it.

Jamie

Old 12-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
MR_Jungle_Mist
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
I use the Aspen chips from the local pet store. I havent noticed them to be dusty at all. Are you sure its Aspan you are using?

Jamie
I'm sure what Dean is using is the small, powdery aspen stuff that sells at most pet stores for an incredibly high price. It's like big aspen snowflakes. Very dusty indeed.

As for the Aspen chips - we prefer the aspen string/shavings over the chips because they seem to be softer and more absorbant than the larger chip types.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #7
jglass38
I dont prefer any of it personally but have yet to find anything else suitable for the balls that doesnt look like crap. Paper towel and newspaper dont cut it for me and in my mind at least, looks uncomfortable to lay on 24hours a day. Cypress is a bit dirty (I use it for the boa) but awesome for holding humidity. Its a bitch to find the poo in though.

Jamie

Old 12-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #8
Lonermon
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsdad
Where can I buy shredded aspen? What I have found so far is chipped, and I am not crazy about it. It seems VERY dusty.

Thanks!
http://www.animals.com/Sapphire/sear...20WFRCT54&tpc=

check that link . animal mania in ft aluderdale . they ship . i use the shredded aspen in all my reptile tanks . havent found it to be at all dusty , even to the bottom of the bag

Old 12-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #9
Lonermon
okay i check the link myself . it doesnt go straight to the aspen like i thought it would but once on the site jsut enter "aspen " in the search box and youll get it :scatter:

Old 12-30-2004, 10:36 PM   #10
starwarsdad
Thanks for the links everybody! I will try to give the folks at American Excelsior a call tomorrow. You guys did give me an idea. There is a feed store on the way to my office that we used to buy our dog food from. I need to try there

It might be that I use animals.com. I just need to try local first and then do my research.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!