What type of roaches to feed a panther cham? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Beeker
What type of roaches to feed a panther cham?

i was looking at a few different types of roaches to breed/feed to my chameleon and i was wondering what was the best kind to use? I was going to go with hissing cockroaches but wasn't sure if they would be to hard for the chameleon to chew/digest/eat if anyone has any information on this it would be great.

thanks
kyle

Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Traci1
I feed lobster roaches. Clay Davenport has great info on his website.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/bugs/bugs.shtml

Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 AM   #3
Reptayls
Lightbulb

Hi Kyle,

We have several species of roaches that we raise and sell for feeders. Our panthers prefer the soft-bodied lobster roaches, but these can climb, so you have to be careful of escapes. A few of our panthers prefer orangeheads, but we only feed them nymphs and not the winged adults. The orangeheads do not climb most surfaces.

The hissing roaches have a heavier exoskeleton than many roach species, and are one of the largest. While we feed freshly-shed hissers to our adult male panther chameleons, usually we feed these to our bearded dragons.

Traci, I believe that Clay is out of lobsters currently - but he says he will resume shipping them sometime in February.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptayls
Traci, I believe that Clay is out of lobsters currently - but he says he will resume shipping them sometime in February.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.
I just mentioned that he had great info on his web site...I got my lobsters from REPTAYLS!!! And they are multiplying like crazy! LOL

Old 01-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Beeker
thanks for all of the info does anyone have a good site where i could get lobster roaches/ egg crate and substrate for them at a good price?I'm planning on breeding them but how many adults should i start with if i only have 1 chameleon to feed? I'm going to eventually get more chameleons but one is what im starting with for now.

thanks
kyle

Old 01-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Reptayls
Kyle,

You really don't need that many if you are going to feed only one chameleon. They will start multiplying within a short time, and you will have a surplus in a few months. Maybe you could order a couple dozen adults and the rest med-large nymphs for feeding to your cham.

As for substrate, we recommend none. Egg flats are available at egg ranches (used ones are free), or there are places you can get them online (but you will pay shipping that way). We get ours at the local egg ranch.

You will need to put something around the edge of the container you keep them in - either vaseline or the teflon-based paint on product. These roaches will escape if you don't and they will multiply.

If you need a beginner set-up - contact us and we will try to help you get started with your small colony.

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.
reptayls@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #7
Reptayls
Traci,
Glad to hear that your colony is doing well!
Almost as simple as a chia-pet, huh??

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Traci1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptayls
Traci,
Glad to hear that your colony is doing well!
Almost as simple as a chia-pet, huh??

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.
Well, to be honest I never had a chia-pet, guess no one thinks enough of me to get me one as a gift

...but these roaches are pretty darn easy to keep and raise. I have SOOOO many little baby roaches running around in the tub. Thanks a bunch!

Old 01-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Beeker
ok well thats what i wanted to know i figure ill probably get 5 or so adults 3 females and 2 males or something to start. Getting the egg flats is the most difficult for me iv'e asked my local food/pet stores and i wasn't able to get any so i definatly will need to order some of those i know they are dirt cheap but i have no way of getting them unless i buy bulk crickets which i don't need or a ton of eggs which i won't be able to eat.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
Reptayls
Kyle,

I think if you ordered 50 roaches from us (our min order)... we could manage to toss in some egg crates free of charge. BUT... what are you going to keep your roaches in? Have you figured that out yet?

Morgana
Reptayls, Ltd.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!