My jacksons stopped eating!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
PsychoBillyNiki
Exclamation My jacksons stopped eating!!!

What would cause jacksons to stop eating? Mine stopped taking their mealworms and refuse crickets. HELP!!!!

Old 09-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Dave W.
Howdy,

Possibilities are long...

food item boredom
hydration
temps
stress from external sources
soon to shed
overfed/overweight
undiagnosed illness
How long has it been since they ate "normally"?
Tell us about the critters and their environment and how you've been feeding/supplementing.

Tell us everything...

Dave Weldon

Old 09-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
PsychoBillyNiki
Okay well Ive got two jacksons In a huge vertical cage I converted myself from an entertainment system. I had a water fall setup with a fogger but their poo clogged the waterfalls motor so ive been spraying them with a bottle whenever the humidity goes down. Theyve been refusing food for a couple days now. My female wont open her eyes. The male is shedding but hes underwieght I got him to eat a mealworm and two crickets yesterday but thats about it for a couple days. I supplement their food with the calci-vita dust. Plus he looks like its an unhealthy shed only his top half is shedding. I have a small fan setup so that they can have circulation and I have UVB lighting on the top of the cage.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Dave W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBillyNiki

...I had a water fall setup with a fogger but their poo clogged the waterfalls...

...ive been spraying them with a bottle whenever the humidity goes down...

Theyve been refusing food for a couple days now.

My female wont open her eyes.

...I supplement their food with the calci-vita dust.

...I have a small fan setup so that they can have circulation and I have UVB lighting on the top of the cage.
Howdy,

A couple of quick notes before I have to dash back to work...!

Good that the waterfall is gone. Easy bacteria growth.

Your critters would benefit from long, warm water mistings. Try somewhere between 5-20 minutes of misting until they drink. They may not drink but usually if they are thirsty (or worse yet, dehydrated) they will begin to drink. Carefully mist them and their surroundings until they drink. Water temp 90-100F.

A couple of days without eating is not a problem. WHY they are not eating needs to be figure out. Illness or just tired of their food items.

Female's eyes closed is often a sure sign of impending doom. She is shutting down. Turn it around or the end is near. VET ASAP. You are not too far from Dr. Greek in Yorba Linda. 714-777-2314. Fare prices. Expert at chameleons. Schedule a visit NOW! Take them both. There's a discount for a 2nd animal. I guarantee that you won't find a better one closer. I strongly recommend him over anyone closer to you. I drive over 45 minutes to get to him.

Suspicious of the calci-vita dust as not having everything that they need.... I don't know the product (yet).

I didn't see mention of temperatures.

Take a look through:

www.chameleonsdish.com to begin sorting out husbandry issues etc.

Gotta dash!

Dave Weldon

Old 09-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
PsychoBillyNiki
Im taking them to him today.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
PsychoBillyNiki
Ill tell you the diagnosis.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Dave W.
Howdy,

Aaah, now I get it. You wrote calci-vita meaning calcium and vitamins and not a product called calci-vita What supplements are you using?

Hopefully you got some good results from Dr. Greek. I wasn't kidding about driving past a 100 vets between Reseda and Yorba Linda to get to Dr. Greek.... What extra you spent on gas and time is often easily made up for by not paying the higher charges from some of the other vets and the cost of mis-diagnosis. I won't say that I've seen it all but I've seen enough when it comes to vets practicing (and I mean practicing!) out of their league .

Dave Weldon

Old 09-02-2006, 05:46 AM   #8
PsychoBillyNiki
Heres the update. I spent 3 hours in traffic trying to get to my 5 pm appointment I tried in vain. I couldnt make it there because they closed at 6 pm. I called them and said where I was and how traffic was moving and they told me to go to a place in Diamond Bar. I went. The receptionist was extremely rude to us but we werent picky at the rate my babies deteriorated. We went in and the woman listing their symptoms was a bitch too, I tried to show her June Carter Cham (female) and she was disgusted and said just put her back in the carrier. I waited for 15 minutes for a Doctor to come in and tell me they both were going to die. I was puzzled because John Cham (male) was extremely active. He manhandled June for a little bit and left. He asked me what I fed them and I said Gut Loaded Crickets and Mealies. He told me he was surprized that I knew what I was doing. He left and came back with a list of prices for shots. He didnt tell me what their problem was. He took shed samples off the male and said he saw nothing. We decided June was better off not suffering anymore the way she looked. Like a little cham skeleton sunken eyes and all. We had June put to sleep. When we did we told the woman that was our choice and she demanded June with out a proper good bye and there was no offer of remains. We had them treat Johnny, he was active so we had a chance. They gave him an antibiotic and a fluid shot and gave us antibiotics for at home. He's very tired. We soaked him in warm water to get his shed off and it worked. He looks great. The real test is tomorrow at feeding time. So, were all sad today as I lost my cham. She didnt deserve what happened to her. R.I.P. June Carter Cham. P.S. After the Doctor told me I feed them well and took proper care of my animals he wrote that the cause of illness was "Poor Nutrition" thank you for your help! We saved one!

By The Way Calci-Vita dust is just short for when you mix your own dusts together to make sure you get everything you need.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #9
PsychoBillyNiki
I tried to make it there, The traffic was awful. They directed me to that place who did nothing for June. They didnt even try anything. Ive been in pieces for a couple days now over her. I just feel better knowing she doesnt have to struggle anymore, I could tell she was in real pain towards the end. She got slow and clung onto a branch and laid her body down. She looked dead and was barely breathing. It reminded me of the Horned Toad I had when I was younger, when he died my Mom's husband dried him out and I saw it all sunken in and dried.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Dave W.
Howdy Nicole,

Sorry to hear that she didn't make it. I'm extra sorry that you weren't able to make it to Dr. Greek's office. That experience would have been much more more to your liking. If it wasn't a 3-day weekend at peak traffic hour, the drive would have been one hour.

If you can post PHOTOS of you setup, it would help us give feedback.

Don't forget to read through www.chameleonsdish.com

Post more info about:

UVB light source
hydration quantity and schedule
Heat source type, basking temps and overall temps
brand of supplements

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!