Viewing as a "guest" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
hhmoore
Viewing as a "guest"

When looking at the number of people viewing the site, which I occasionally do, I've noticed that the number of guests is generally higher than the number of registered members...usually by a considerable margin. (When I checked this morning, 60% were guests; and I've seen it closer to 75%)

I know at times, Rich, you've adjusted settings to block guests from advancing past the index/home screens (they could view those, but not open individual threads/ads). Did that have a meaningful impact in the number of registrations or posts?

The reason I'm posting this here is because I wanted to ask members what their typical response is when they go to a site that doesn't allow guests to view content (without registering). I've encountered this when researching work subjects, as well as various personal interests and I don't think I've ever registered when I've been blocked at the door; but I don't consider myself the average/normal internet user for a number of reasons.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post

The reason I'm posting this here is because I wanted to ask members what their typical response is when they go to a site that doesn't allow guests to view content (without registering).
Unless there's some file download or piece of info that I can't find anywhere else, I generally make it a point to avoid sites that absolutely require a registration to view content. I guess I just never liked the idea of having to remember yet another username and password for a site, especially before I actually knew the site would be useful enough to justify having to jump through hoops. I think Fauna's current setup is a decent one, insomuch as it's not likely to instantly alienate those who happen to think like I do. If I can see that the bait is something I'll definitely find tasty, I'm much more likely to take a bite.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
WebSlave
Generally I will sometimes block guests from this site solely to try to shake off some of the Chinese search engine spiders that seem to latch on and won't let go. Sometimes i have had to actually reboot the server to shake them off. But this will last only a few days, at most. I believe that most of the guests logged as viewing this site are quite likely search engine spiders, which can sometimes be quite a burden on the server. Some are necessary, of course, but hundreds of them at a time? Especially those originating from countries notorious for being spam sources?

When I go to a new site and find that I am blocked from viewing anything as a guest, I back on out and don't plan to visit them again. It just strikes me as being real user unfriendly, so to heck with them. I lived a long time before finding them, and will live the rest of my life just fine without them, too. Heck, I've even stumbled on sites that block only their classifieds section from casual viewers.

I guess every admin has their own ideas of how to best run their site. Certainly not all of them are going to be successful with their ideas. Lord knows I tried a lot of things along the way with this site. And I'm still not sure I've got this one right yet.....

Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
hhmoore
I agree - being blocked from all content is a major deterrent, and I never register. If I ever go back, it is purely accidental...following a link without noticing (or remembering) the location.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Ed Clark
If you must register or be blocked I dont register and do not return.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
LauraB
I have to agree with everyone else. First roadblock and mandatory registration/personal information required, I won't return.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
AntiAmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The reason I'm posting this here is because I wanted to ask members what their typical response is when they go to a site that doesn't allow guests to view content (without registering). I've encountered this when researching work subjects, as well as various personal interests and I don't think I've ever registered when I've been blocked at the door; but I don't consider myself the average/normal internet user for a number of reasons.
Generally, I back out and search elsewhere. However, if I'm really intrigued and/or can't find the information somewhere else (yet still unsure of this site), I'll register using my "junk" email account; this way, I know I won't be subjected to any unwanted correspondence, and it will be easy to forget about my registration when I've lost interest.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
von Putz
Personally, the first year that I came to this site, was as a guest. I had just stumbled into reptiles and had gone into "research mode". One day, I tried to view a thread and was told that I would need to register to view anything (except the classifieds). So I registered because, quite frankly, I was now addicted to the BOI. Best decision I made. Rich's attempt to weed out the search bots gave me the incentive to actually become a member.

Thanks, Rich!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!