First Bloods - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
TripleMoonsExotic
Talking First Bloods

Well, I guess their's a first time for everything!

I received 1.3 Bloods this morning...Why add Bloods to my collection you ask? O well, because they're het Anery Stripe of course!

Only one of the girls decided she would stay still for a picture, so here she is. Isn't she just darling?
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2006, 01:44 AM   #2
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
I received 1.3 Bloods this morning...Why add Bloods to my collection you ask? O well, because they're het Anery Stripe of course!
Are these "bloodred" as in "selective bred for red coloration" or "diffused bloodred", the pattern? Certainly looks red enough!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
TripleMoonsExotic
I've never heard of the term Bloodred used for anything BUT Diffused.

Depending who you speak to, Bloodreds are selectively bred Diffused or Diffused is a fancy name for Bloodred. Personally, I like useing Diffused & then Bloodred for those with a ton of red.

Mine are Diffused Bloodreds het Anery Stripe.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
jaxom1957
Quote:
Depending who you speak to, Bloodreds are selectively bred Diffused or Diffused is a fancy name for Bloodred. Personally, I like useing Diffused & then Bloodred for those with a ton of red.
Mine are Diffused Bloodreds het Anery Stripe.
I use Diffused to describe the pattern. Bloodred doesn't make sense as a pattern name because a) the snake can be diffused with no red whatsoever, and b) the color was selectively bred, along with the diffused pattern, but the color does not breed true. The color has to be multi-gene influenced, and therefor not a true morph of it's own. I consider Bloodred the equivalent of Okeetee: it describes a desirable looking snake of the color, independent of which specific alleles were involved in making it that way.

Calling a snake that may not have any red in it at all "Bloodred" makes as little sense to me as calling an anerythristic snake a "black albino". It does not compute and my brain throws a circuit breaker.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxom1957
I use Diffused to describe the pattern. Bloodred doesn't make sense as a pattern name because a) the snake can be diffused with no red whatsoever, and b) the color was selectively bred, along with the diffused pattern, but the color does not breed true. The color has to be multi-gene influenced, and therefor not a true morph of it's own.
I agree.

Quote:
I consider Bloodred the equivalent of Okeetee: it describes a desirable looking snake of the color, independent of which specific alleles were involved in making it that way.
But yet, that is not what it means to everyone else in the hobby.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
jaxom1957
Quote:
But yet, that is not what it means to everyone else in the hobby.
I spent several hours this afternoon reading threads going back over three years on that topic. The building consensus was that using bloodred to describe the pattern was inadvisable, for much the same reasons I noted. Diffused wasn't a great deal more popular, but none of the suggested alternatives garnered much support, so diffused remained the least disliked alternative. I would suggest searching either diffused or bloodred and reading the threads. "Everyone else in the hobby" isn't of the accord you suppose.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
Lauren Summey
Congrats on the new additions!!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
I spent several hours this afternoon reading threads going back over three years on that topic. The building consensus was that using bloodred to describe the pattern was inadvisable, for much the same reasons I noted. Diffused wasn't a great deal more popular, but none of the suggested alternatives garnered much support, so diffused remained the least disliked alternative. I would suggest searching either diffused or bloodred and reading the threads. "Everyone else in the hobby" isn't of the accord you suppose.
Agreed, but Bloodred has never been used as for anything but Diffused, that is my point. So because you think it is in reference to animals that do not carry the genes for Diffused, you are in the minority. Their is a thread on this very forum where Joe went into detail why he disliked the term Diffused.

Trust me, I don't need to search for Bloodred or Diffusion, I know they are one & the same; and that in some individuals opinion, Bloodred is a selectively bred Diffusion (which I agree with as I've stated).

Thank you Lauren, for the compliments.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Quote:
because they're het Anery Stripe of course!
I was wondering why you got all of these non-striped babies.

Lovely Miamis, hypos, and Bloods.

Old 10-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
TripleMoonsExotic
Thank you Mary-Beth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!