Breeding help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
cliff_f
Breeding help

I have 2 female veiled chameleons that will finally be old enough to breed next spring I have read tons of care sheets on them but what my question is...What does everyone do right before they breed them like that winter getting them preped making sure they are the right size to breed what kind of diet do you put them on? What is a good breeding weight also? Just any help that you could give me would be awesome cause you dont hear much about the before hand of breeding you chameleon.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I breed my veileds at 6 months or more as long as they are of adult size (about 14" with tail or more). Ive never thought to weigh them though. I don't so anything special, just feed them a variety of dusted foods.

When they turn a robins egg blue I place them with the male, but stay close by, they may decide they are unwilling and you will have to get the female out fast!

The female shoud show no color change if she is ready, the male will flatten his body, his colors will get more intense and he will wave back and forth at her before mating her.

Sometimes the mating will last a while then it could only last a few minutes. If the female appears the same after mating you can leave her in for a day or 2 for repeat matings but you have to be careful, as soon as she turns dark she will want out fast.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
cliff_f
Well I am glad to hear that most people tell me that they are really hard to breed and you have to do all this special stuff to get them to breed and they wont really tell me what cause they breed them their self and they are scared of a little competition. I look at it as you should not be scared of a little competition because if you do take proper care of your reptiles like you should and you have a good name you will still be able to sell them. I spill my guts about everything and anything I know because I look at it as if someone is going to keep or try to breed a reptile they should do it right so they dont put the reptiles life in jepordy so I will help them out in anyway that I can. But as you can tell right now I dont know much about breeding chameleons yet I am learning and will be more than willing to help out anyone right know they only reptile I breed is my Tokay geckos and this is my first year at doing that so I am still learning. Anyways another question I have is if I do let my veileds mature more will I get bigger clutches for her first clutch and is it a big deal if my male veiled is alot older he is around 2 years and my oldest female is about 7-8 months?

Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
Im not sure if you will get bigger clutches by waiting or not, Id just go by adult size and have hd clutches from 60-69. BUt that being said if you have a 1 year old velield at 10" total I would hold off on her.

Breeding in my mind is the "easier" part. Having cageing est up for 60+ babies is the hard part, you have to plan ahead for cages food etc.

They also do NOT hatch at the same time, if you aget a clutch of 60 it may take 3-4 weeks for all of them to hatch so you then need 2 different sizes of food, enclosures by size etc.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
cliff_f
I do have people that have told me they will buy the babies off of me if I can get them to breed so I will be selling them at wholesale so I dont have to keep them to long of a time and I am sure that if I have big clutches that I will have to put some more money into them at first but I should make it back. I also already have two 22 gal reptariums and a few 10 gal tanks and some 20 talls and some other bigger tanks that are not being used so I have tanks I will just have to look into getting more plants and such. Also would you think it would be a good I dea to invest in another male that is younger and letting him grow up cause I have been thinking about getting a sunburst or just wait till the females are a good year old and a good size and they should be ok?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
dragonflyreptiles
Baby veileds do seem to sell petty fast and they are hardy little babies.

From what Ive been told by various breeders your male will live around 8 years so he should be fine for a few years since he is only 2. The females will live 2-4 years depending on breeding, it really takes alot out of them laying so many eggs so often.

After the 1st mating your females can and most do lay every 90 days for 1 to 2 more clutches without being remated. So you will get more than 1 clutch from 1 mating.

Id try to get larger reptariums if anything, Ive never kept 1 in anything smaller than a 38 gallon and I prefer the screen cages that are a little taller. Ill have to measure mine since I can't remember exactly what size it is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!