Killing time at home. Found a small project. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Randall Turner
Killing time at home. Found a small project.

Since getting out and enjoying life is on hold for most of us currently, I decided to tackle a project I've wanted to do for a while. I carry a 9mm derringer when I get out in the middle of nowhere among other places, but the darn thing is so small in the hand I decided to try and 3D print a larger grip. I'm pretty pleased with the result. I made a test pair to see if it would fit nice and it does, so I printed a solid set which I tapped and now have drying after painting them. Will have to get out and shoot it to see how it feels in use.

The pic is the test pair.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
E.Shell
Nice!

I have an old PPK that has one broken grip and the replacements I ordered through Midway a few years ago were junk. The material was too soft to allow tightening the screw and the screw wanted to pull through. I need to drill them out and epoxy in an aluminum bushing, or try to find real Walther grips for it.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:20 AM   #3
WebSlave
BTW, many years ago a friend of mine had a Walther PPK and bought an aftermarket set of grips for it. First time he took it out to the range the thing went full auto on him. Come to find out, with those grips, FULL AUTO. Without those grips, a normal semi-auto handgun.

I think he eventually threw the grips away after he couldn't figure out what it was about them that made the gun go full auto. I'm thinking it probably put his trigger finger in the narrow zone between releasing the hammer and before the trigger could reset to lock the hammer back. So it went into a slam fire mode.

Just one of those things, I guess...

Old 04-04-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Randall Turner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
BTW, many years ago a friend of mine had a Walther PPK and bought an aftermarket set of grips for it. First time he took it out to the range the thing went full auto on him. Come to find out, with those grips, FULL AUTO. Without those grips, a normal semi-auto handgun.

I think he eventually threw the grips away after he couldn't figure out what it was about them that made the gun go full auto. I'm thinking it probably put his trigger finger in the narrow zone between releasing the hammer and before the trigger could reset to lock the hammer back. So it went into a slam fire mode.

Just one of those things, I guess...
Geeze, that would be a bit frightening.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Geeze, that would be a bit frightening.
Eh, it was only a .380, so it was manageable. Matter of fact it was so fast at cycling, that I don't think anyone else at the range even noticed.

Now if it had been a Desert Eagle in .50 AE, well, that would have been a handful!!

Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
WebSlave
Speaking of killing time at home while trying to ride out the virus storm, Connie and I have been cleaning up my informal shooting range area. I shoot from a gazebo we had put in a bunch of years ago, but from neglect the shooting area got way overgrown. Heck, we couldn't even see the target area any longer. But it is pretty clear now, except for a rather large pine tree that I want to take out right in front of a clay embankment I use as a backstop. I put a target stand right in front of it, thinking this would be a whole lot more fun shooting it through rather than taking the chain saw to it.

The target stands are set out at 25 yards and 65 yards. The clay hill behind the furthest target stand and pine tree is actually 75 yards away. I have another embankment out further away and a bit to the left that is something like 125 yards if I remember correctly, but that area is REALLY overgrown. Not sure we will get to clearing that through this year. But 75 yards is practical enough for me.

I have a bunch of guns I have bought over the last several years and never fired them (Heck, there are some that I bought at least 10 years ago or more that I have never fired!), so I figure I will have time on my hands to finally sight them in. At least until yellow fly season sets in, anyway. Not much we can do outside when they are biting the hell out of us. Of course, we did buy some of those electrified fly swatters last year, and honestly, that was a LOT of fun killing yellow flies with them. Produces a very satisfying ZAP! when you connect with those flying buzzsaws. So I guess all won't be lost this yellow fly season.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
...At least until yellow fly season sets in, anyway. Not much we can do outside when they are biting the hell out of us. Of course, we did buy some of those electrified fly swatters last year, and honestly, that was a LOT of fun killing yellow flies with them. Produces a very satisfying ZAP! when you connect with those flying buzzsaws. So I guess all won't be lost this yellow fly season.
https://bugballkit.com/

Old 04-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I actually bought some of that Tanglefoot spray, but haven't used it yet. Reason is that we have so many green anoles running around here that Connie and I are worried that we will wind up getting a lot of them stuck in that stuff. So we would have to be checking the fly traps a couple of times a day.

Heck, I find some in the yellow jacket traps I put out in the Fall months, but don't tell Connie about them. She is real protective of HER lizards.

BTW, you can use that spray on black nursery pots too. Our neighbor on the north side of the property had a bunch of them out last year, and they seemed to work well. I have read that beach balls will work too, especially the blue ones, as blue seems to be an attractant to biting flies.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
E.Shell
Might be able to suspend an object between two lengths of heavy fishing line to keep the anoles off.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
WebSlave
Heck, I dunno. I'm thinking that the flies partially stuck on the glue would attract their attention and they would brave hell and high water in order to get to them, thinking they located some easy meals. We are forever getting them out of our screen enclosed porch, no matter what we do to stop them.

But I guess we'll just have to see how bad the flies are this year. Some years have been worse than others.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!