I wanna know about the Jungle. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life
Ok. So a jungle boa as we know is a incomplete dominant trait, with the "super jungle" being the dominant trait.
Super or Homozygous, not Dominant. Dominant describes a relationship that a pair of genes have at any given locus. So does Recessive (hidden) and Co-Dominant (equally expressed).

Heterozygous means simply, the pair of genes at a given locus are not the same. This would be the normal Jungle. Homozygous means they are the same, and would be called Super or Homozygous.

Just FYI.

I'm fairly lousy at picking jungles unless they are blatantly obvious, so I can't offer much on picking a Super from a Het animal.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
SPJ
I think this Swedish girl may be a jungle.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
Steve's boa above, I see the color difference between the top and lats but otherwise, I never would have guessed it was a jungle.

I have a hypo that was from a poss jungle breeding and she might pass for a jungle (has some characteristics) but the father did *not* prove out. The genes are funky that's for sure!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
JCCS
As far as your boa, Jeremy, it's just not a jungle. It looks more like a BCA cross. I've seen a chunk of animals with that "odd" pattern look, but the saddles aren't "chocolatey" like the true jungles posted, which is probably the biggest marker for jungles. I don't think that your boa is a jungle either, Steve, but I am not so dead certain.

Jeremy, I cannot tell you how much I commend you for using the correct terminology for the jungle gene in incomplete dominant instead of the usual misuse of co-dominant. I thank you, sir.

Chris

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
SPJ
I can only go by what the seller said the snake was.
A reverse stripe Swedish line jungle boa.
No matter what though, she is a great laid back f/t rat pounding pet boa.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
JCCS
Steve, I think she is an absolutely gorgeous animal, and I would have purchased her whether or not she was a jungle. I would grab a jungle male and find out, the worst thing that could happen would be some really interesting jungles would come out.

Chris

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #17
bear
I know the seller who sold that reverse stripe jungle, he's 100% in my book and if he said it came from a jungle litter i'm betting it did. Always a possibility it is a crazy normal from a jungle litter but i doubt it. I agree with the stripe it is hard to tell what is going on with that one though.

As far as low expression jungle i.d goes, I look for the over all yellow/buckskin look, heavy speckled sides, large white portals/circles on the side of the saddles and aberancies, although there is a clear difference between jungle aberancies and other aberancies. I can't quite put my finger on how to describe that yet, but all I can say about i.d-ing true jungles is it just takes a lot of seeing them. Look at as many 100% true jungles as you can and you'll start to get the feel for what is what, look for things they all have in common even if most people don't look for those traits (maybe you can find a new marker that no one else has seen.)

Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
bear
" I agree with the stripe it is hard to tell what is going on with that one though."

Meant to say something more like, With the stripe negating most of the pattern and markers, it is hard to tell what is going on with that boa, but knowing the background of the seller, I am more inclined to say it is jungle.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
JCCS
Albert, I know who sold it as well, and while he normally is pretty good, I don't believe anyone over my own eyes when it comes to boas normally, and I have to respectfully disagree with him.

Chris

Old 05-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #20
bear
I like when people agree to disagree, it makes for civility in open debates.

Steve, your just gonna have to breed that bugger to a jungle and prove that one out! Oh and you are welcome to use this guy if you want! (coral albino jungle)
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!