Second Breeding Attempt - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #41
Scooter1685
It's a home air purification system. It's the IQAir Health Pro Plus, supposed to remove pet dander, pollen, all that good junk. Cost almost as much as my darn house payment, but it seems to be doing a good job. That was a few years ago, and I've had no issues with infection in any of the snakes in my keeping. Just the one that had an RI already when he brought her. It's probably an unnecessary step, but I'd rather play it safe, lol.

Everyone loved Ambrosius for Halloween, as always. The children who live nearby all know I keep boas and come every year with their friends to see. I dress up gothy, with black lipstick and nail polish, loads of fake piercings, black crazy hair, white face paint, all black clothes with saggy pants, eyeliner, and a big fat chain on my wallet. Then I put Ambrosius around my shoulders and the costume is complete! The children all want to pet him, which is ok as long as I hold his head and offer sanitizer afterwards.

The party was fun too. A few friends came over, and unfortunately one of them decided to break the smoked & beveled glass in my living room coffee table... But he also paid for damages so I can't hold it against him too much. All things considered, it was a great night.

Time to prepare snake food!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #42
Scooter1685
Lol wish I had more money to spend. You guys produce some gorgeous boas that are up for sale here. Some of the pastels... I can't believe how much pink and red in a "normal!" Snows are one of my favorites also. Lol, if I had $30,000 just lying around and nothing to do with it though, I'd buy a pair of motley het Princess Diamonds from Jeremy Stone. Easy to tell the het babies from the normals with all that pattern reduction and side striping. So many gorgeous boas out there that I would love to have and try to propagate. *Sigh* some day...

My wife said that I can buy a coral snow for our anniversary in February! If I can find one in February, lol. We'll have to see what happens. I also have hatchling racks to build and a couple cages to build before then. I've gotten plans from one of the forums here on Fauna but I want to make a few alterations to them. I want to create something more hardwood and less melamine, though that's just for appearance and display. I want to set Ambrosius up with a big 8' long, 7'tall, 2' wide hardwood enclosure in my Living Room. It takes him out of my snake room, but according to the plans I've drawn up he'll be retired from breeding in 2016. Of course, things rarely go precisely as planned... He may never breed with how darn finicky he is. We'll just have to see what he decides.

Just a random ramble. I was looking at the classifieds and started to covet. College kids certainly aren't known for having plenty of cash to throw around though, and at present I'm no exception. Paying my bills has bled me dry and I just had to get full-time employment for the first time in years, which conflicted with my classes. As a result I'm currently on a leave of absence from my university, though I will be returning in Summer. Kind of nice to have a break though. I haven't even taken a summer off in 3 years. Just all school all the time, with physics and calculus and statistics and chemistry... Not that those classes are terrible, but they do require lots and lots of homework and study to maintain any sort of decent GPA. With that much homework I haven't averaged more than 6 hours of sleep per night in about 2 and a half years (first semester or two weren't bad, so I got plenty of sleep back then).

And I've begun rambling again. How exciting

Old 11-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
Durante
When I first started getting into snakes I just got them as pets because I just liked the animals & thought they were all beautiful. I never had plans to breed but the last few years I been considering it, if even only once just for the experience. I always made sure that all my snakes were a little different from each other but started trying to make sure any new additions were compatible sex & morphs in case I decide to take up breeding in the future. If I bred my two older snakes soon I would hopefully get at least get 1 male sunglow that would fit in for other future plans. I'd need the hypo gene with the albino so the only other snake would be a male moonglow but they scare me because I like raising them from babies & I cant see much of a difference between a moonglow & snow baby besides a few hundred.
I say this but there are a few snakes that i couldn't help adding to my collection even though they would never used for breeding considering the snakes I have now. They would simple be there for me to stare & drool over. I like the odd balls, & extremely high dollar snakes as much as anyone but there's something or combination of things that a certain few particular snakes have that just steals my attention, a bright Sunburst Arabesque with out a lot of freckling or Anery Longicauda with strong contrast & markings for example.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
Scooter1685
Lol, yeah those are gorgeous. Snowglows/moonglows look a little more orange/yellow than snows. The color isn't quite the same. Best way to tell is to look at one next to a snow and then they're pretty easy to pick out. As long as you have a reputable breeder in mind who is willing to send picks like that to show contrast, you'll get a beautiful boa. They are, however, certainly not the cheapest things, lol. I saw a motley coral moonglow i absolutely drooled over but it was 1900 + shipping. There's no way I'd be able to afford that within about 5 months, lol.

I do the same thing with my boas. Right now I just have the type1 anery het kahl snow, Ambrosius the type2, and the hypo motley het type1 anery. With 2-3 more strategically planned boas I'd have a pretty amazing breeding program set up. I plan a coral snow, a motley snowglow, and an albino Aztec, preferably with coral parentage. The more I see them the more I love those pastels and corals with all the extra pinks. Gorgeous!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #45
JCCS
Just out of curiosity, how do you tell if a snow or moonglow is a coral? That sounds like a marketing ploy where someone can attach another name to a snake. Corals are not a genetic mutation in which its replication adheres to Mendel's theory. They are a selectively bred trait where animals are bred for red coloration. If you cannot see this red coloration, you have no clue as to whether an animal is or is not a coral. Also, if you think moonglows are yellow, buy a snow and wait two years.

Chris

Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #46
Scooter1685
Oh no, I just mean a snow that has pastel in the albino lineage, which will likely produce coral albinos rather than albinos when bred to another boa with pastel in the albino lineage. The coral snow isn't a morph, it's a term I use to refer to snows produced with coral albino parentage in the genetic line. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has advertised a coral snow.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #47
JCCS
I'm just not a big fan of that practice in whatever form it takes. Pastels and corals are too variable to even think about in that manner. Average animals come out in even the best pastel litters. There is just no real way to determine an animal's ability to produce coral animals except for knowing the amount of color on that specific animal.

Chris

Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter1685 View Post
Snowglows/moonglows look a little more orange/yellow than snows.
I assumed & seen the total opposite. All the moonglows I seen keep there "white" better then the snows as they age due to the hypo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
If you cannot see this red coloration, you have no clue as to whether an animal is or is not a coral. Also, if you think moonglows are yellow, buy a snow and wait two years.
That's what I was leaning towards when I was saying it was hard for me to tell the difference between a baby snow & moonglow, because it doesn't seem the snows have that tint until they mature. I'd hate to pay the difference to between the 2 only to find out after breeding the gene was missing.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #49
allreptiles1966
Some snows dont go so yellow. Most seem too, but there are older animals out there that are still nice. I was just in Pa and seen a 10'+ snow that was a beauty for a snow. Only light yellow and still some nice contrast.Not like most snows. But going on the snow/moonglow colors when aging and the difference in prices,why get a snow when you can get a plain albino that will look like a snow in a few years. My 03 male was light yellow and no orange left on his tail. Looked like a snow.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #50
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durante View Post
I assumed & seen the total opposite. All the moonglows I seen keep there "white" better then the snows as they age due to the hypo.

That's what I was leaning towards when I was saying it was hard for me to tell the difference between a baby snow & moonglow, because it doesn't seem the snows have that tint until they mature. I'd hate to pay the difference to between the 2 only to find out after breeding the gene was missing.
Moonglows do hold a better color then the snows. From what i have seen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!