Help me pick a lizard! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
anolelover
Help me pick a lizard!

I'm trying to find out if I should get some kind of day gecko, most likely peacock, a uromastyx, a sandfish skink, or fire skink. I need it to be easy to care for, very immune to gastric parasites (I've had bad experiences with anoles with the parasite), pretty to the eye, things like that. After you guys help me settle on which lizard, I'll need somebody to tell me any special care for it.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Moved from classifieds to Gecko discussion forum.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Lucille
Lily, how about a nice bearded dragon? A comprehensive roundup of requirements is more than one can really expect in a post, why not settle on the lizard you want and then do some research?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
angie.h
Hi Lily....I've owned bearded dragons, a number of different day geckos [ many years ago [ as well as fire skinks. In my opinion, the fireskinks are hands down the easiest to set up + care for. They eat any bug you give them, including earthworms and nightcrawlers and will eat a little scrambled egg if you're short on bugs. If you do get one, be sure to handle it first to see it's temperament....most are calm but some can be flighty. I do agree wih Lucille though, that a b. dragon is still pretty much the top pet lizard, but they aren't always trouble free. The fire skinks are ridiculously hardy and almost trouble free, plus magnificently beautiful.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
anolelover
Thanks, @angie.h, I just did some research on size and friendliness factors on all, I had so much trouble, forgot to mention I needed relatively small lizard, realized uro and fire skink is out of the question, limited it down to sandfish or peacock day gecko. I searched friendliness factor on both, said sandfish never bites, peacock has friendly and inquisitive nature, and settled on a peacock day gecko. Need to research requirements, anything else?

Old 12-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
angie.h
Actually a fireskink is not that large [ about 12-14" average ] and do very well in a 20 gal. tank. But if you are set on the day gecko, setting up the tropical tank will be fun. Just go to a reputable site and you'll see all you need to know. They are not all shy, will hang out openly in a well planted tank, but they don't like to be handled, so they are more of a display animal. They can get away quick and will be VERY difficult to recapture if they do. Be sure the tank top will be secure since they an squeeze through tiny openings.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
anolelover
Um, which lizard likes to be handled the most besides leos and beardeds? Also, I need to know how immune geckos/other lizard is to the parasite/diseases.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
angie.h
Steppe runner lizards are small and easy to handle. Armadillo lizards are also small, very hardy and can generally be handled . I've owned armadillo's but not steppe runners. Those lizards are often wild caught but acclimate very easily. As for parasite problems with the day geckos, I don't know that they are prone to getting ill from them, but choosing from a reputable breeder is important , or at least a supplier that has a good reputation. If you actually go to a reptile expo you can see + pick for yourself. If ordering on line, you must Google + look up a dealer's reputation.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
anolelover
I'm reconsidering this whole thing and wondering. Do fire skinks appreciate handling? Geckos are similar to anoles and I'm worrying that maybe gecko might get parasite. I have to wonder about parasite problem with skinks, too. I'm heavily reconsidering maybe getting a sandfish, but first I need to know how much parasite/disease problem there is.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
angie.h
Each animal is different....if you Google all the different lizards that you're considering, you'll get an overview of their care. The reason I mention the fireskink, armadillo lizard, steppe runner are because they are hardy + easy to care for. Most of them will carry a small amount of parasites that don't really hurt them as long as you start out with a healthy animal. With those lizards you should not have a problem. You will drive yourself crazy trying to find a perfect lizard, but I've narrowed it down to the hardiest. And if you want to try a reptile show, just Google " Alabama reptile shows", then you can even check the vendor list for what dealers + breeders will be there and you can contact them ahead of time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!