Shipping to be held for pickup? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
FireStorm
Shipping to be held for pickup?

If I understand it correctly, if I ship via fedex/SYR, I either need to ship to a business address or have a package held to be picked up at the Fedex location. I know people do ship to residential addresses, but I'm guessing they are just ignoring this rule. Is this accurate? I emailed SYR for clarification, but the answer I got wasn't 100% clear.

I would prefer to follow the rules, but I'm wondering how I ship something to be held and how I make sure I know what location the reciever can pick it up at. Most of my purchases have been local, and I also have a business address I can recieve packages at so this hasn't come up before. Sorry if this is a silly question...

Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Deborah Stewart
If you are Fedex certified and ship using your own account shipping should be done business to business (this is according to your fedex waiver)

However if you use SYR you do not have to ship to a business you can ship residential to residential.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
hhmoore
I have never used SYR, so I cannot comment on their policy....except to say that I thought residential shipping was allowed through them. If you post your question, and their response, perhaps we can offer some insight. (At the very least, I can run it by Robyn the next time I communicate with him.)

How to have a package held - if you are preparing the shipment online.
Starting from the main page, select Ship, then Find Location. Then look for the nearest FedEx staffed facility (that part is my preference - I avoid shipping to alternative ship centers or FedEx Office locations). Verify the location with your customer.
When you are setting up the shipment, on the right side of the page you will see the heading Special Services - click. A menu section will open, showing a few options - select Hold at Location. Another selection box will open, with a listing of the available locations (*Note - there is no distinction there about the type of facility - that's why you do that search first ) Select the agreed upon location.

I've never set up a shipment AT FedEx, using the paper form; but it's basically the same - minus the menu selections opening when you check boxes, lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
I always request a hold for pickup when receiving animals. IME it's always worked much more smoothly that way; I know my animals are sitting safe in a climate-controlled facility, they've been there by 10:30am without fail, and I can plan the rest of my day accordingly instead of waiting at home on a delivery truck and all the potential associated delays.

I have the address of my local FedEx and send it to the seller so everyone's on the same page.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I always request a hold for pickup when receiving animals. IME it's always worked much more smoothly that way; I know my animals are sitting safe in a climate-controlled facility, they've been there by 10:30am without fail, and I can plan the rest of my day accordingly instead of waiting at home on a delivery truck and all the potential associated delays.

I have the address of my local FedEx and send it to the seller so everyone's on the same page.
I do the same....fwiw, barring delays, the packages are generally available for pickup when the facility opens for business in the morning (this statement is for FedEx staffed facilities - I cannot comment about other options....and it may not apply to locations that open very early). Mine opens at 0830, and I'm usually pulling in as the trucks are leaving to start their deliveries.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
FireStorm
My question:

"I have an account with you guys, and am getting ready to ship for the first time when I get some cooler weather (I'm in FL). I just had a question that I couldn't find the answer to on your site. If it's there and I missed it, sorry to bother you. I'm wondering if I need to ship my package to be held for pickup @ a Fedex location or if I can ship to a residential address. I've gotten mixed answers from other breeders on this so I wanted to double check. I'm shipping hatchling Ball Pythons, and I just want to make sure I do everything correctly.
Thanks,
Shelly"

Their answer:

"Shelly,
You can absolutely mark your package as "Hold for Pickup!" We recommend this quite often as it ensures your package won't be cruising around in a hot FedEx truck all day long, and that it is kept safe and secure until your customer is able to pick it up.
-Kevin
ShipYourReptiles.com
kevin@shipyourreptiles.com"

I knew I could ship "hold for pickup", I just wasn't sure if I had to...I couldn't find it stated on the website for sure (its very possible that I missed it)...

Thanks for the help guys...I just want all of my shipments to go as smoothly as possible

Old 09-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
bsharrah
Sounds like your question was glossed over by Kevin and he didn't read your email carefully. Like Harald, I heard SYR had permission to ship to residences. That said, I would never ship to residences, even if I could. I always have it held for pickup. The animal's well being supersedes the customer's convenience. If the customer feels otherwise, they can buy from someone else.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
mechnut450
I ahve shipped to a house ( from my house ) before, but I do prefer to have people sign for it to prevent it from roasting i the box/freeze. I had non reptile packages left on the door onl to find they were stolen by the neighborhood kids. ( happen 3 times ) now I got to sign for everything. the one package my niece finds the box and a magnet from them ( beanfarm) and knew who the box was for ( never found the flexwatt I had ordered)

Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
lauraleellbp
Oh I think I misunderstood that part of your question, too.

Yes, SYR can also ship directly to residences. But the delivery time is not always guaranteed, depending on the delivery address, which is another reason I prefer hold for pickup when possible.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
FireStorm
Sounds like having the package held is the way to go, then. I hate "signature required" stuff...our fedex driver is terrible. If it's got "signature required" he doesn't even knock, just leaves the attempted delivery note on the porch gate (doesn't even go up the steps to the door). Luckily that's been packages that weren't live (still a pain since then we don't get the package right away), but I wouldn't want to try it with a live animal...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!