"Monster" Bulls aka Hwy #277 Bullsnakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
homegrownherps
Question "Monster" Bulls aka Hwy #277 Bullsnakes

I was just wondering if anyone has experience / information on raising captive hatched offspring "Monster" Bull snakes aka Hwy #277 Bulls. I purchased a CB 2003 pair back in Feb. 2004 and to say I'm disappointed with the size would be an understatement. I have not bred them yet due to their lack of size. They seem to grow MUCH slower than any of the other locality Bull snakes or any other Bullsnake that I have now or have ever kept. I would think that being close to 5 years old, they would be much larger than 4-½ ft. I want to know when the “MONSTER” part will come, or if it even will!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
shannon
Jim, as we discussed on the phone it may take several years or may never happen.I think its like the red bulls that don't turn red etc....They are what they are thats 100% true locale hyw 277 animals produced by me from wild caught Giants.
I have seen at least one animal (04) animal that is pushing 7 foot now and looks great.I have heard of some others that are smaller and don't liked to be pushed either.These are f1 animals so it may take a generation or two before we see animals that take well to captivity and just sprout? hard to say for sure.I do know that the babies hatch from huge eggs and are twice the size of my morph babies but Thats all I know.Thats why I always tell everybody that I sell some to that they are from huge parents known from a area that consistantly has 8-9 footers roaming about but I can't and won't guarantee anything more than that.
I will be breeding a f1 female (close to 6 foot from (04) to a wild caught 8 footer this year so we will see what the f1 1/2 s look like size wise?Time will tell.

Shannon Brown

Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Suncoast Herpetological
I have to agree with Jim that I am surprised by the slow growth in my pair. They are 2004 animals that have fed well and are quite healthy but they are only now approaching 5 feet in length. I seriously considered waiting till they were 5 before breeding them.

Not dissatisfied...just surprised.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
homegrownherps
I also posted this same inquiry in the Genreal Herp Talk at the same time I posted it here to hopefully get as much input on this as possible.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=108576

Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
I have to agree with Jim that I am surprised by the slow growth in my pair. They are 2004 animals that have fed well and are quite healthy but they are only now approaching 5 feet in length. I seriously considered waiting till they were 5 before breeding them.

Not dissatisfied...just surprised.

I think it will be very disappointing if they do not even come close to the MONSTER size they we're expected to reach. That's the only reason I bought them in the first place. I personally think they should not have been advertised to reach these MONSTER Lengths until people actually raised some captive hatched animals to prove or dis prove the claims.

I also think it would have been wise to see what size captive hatched animals reached BEFORE marketing them as MONSTER BULLS ?

Shannon you mentioned to me on the phone that the MONSTER size they can reach is genetic. If this so, why aren't the offspring reaching these MONSTER sizes in captivity?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
shannon
Jim,
first of all I never sold you any.You bought them from somebody that I sold them too.I have always told everybody every thing that I know about them.I never claimed that my babies would reach any certain size.
I call the genetic giants cause of the area they are from and the size of there adults.There is no guarantee and I have said this 100 times if I have said it once.

Nuff Said,
Shannon

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon
Jim,
first of all I never sold you any.You bought them from somebody that I sold them too.I have always told everybody every thing that I know about them.I never claimed that my babies would reach any certain size.
I call the genetic giants cause of the area they are from and the size of there adults.There is no guarantee and I have said this 100 times if I have said it once.

Nuff Said,
Shannon
First of all ...... you need to chill.
Where did I say YOU SOLD ME ANYTHING ???

I called you to find out if the pair I have came from you, it seems they did.
And wanted to find out some background on these guys.

You told me on the phone that "the genetics are there for them to reach those 7'- 8' Monster lengths". I want to hear from people who have actually raised these so called MONSTER BULLS from hatchlings, since you never kept any and raised them to see if the offspring actually do grow to those MONSTER sizes. I have had both of mine for 5 years and their not even 5' feet yet, and they are CB03'.
And so far , it looks like no one has any captive hatched babies that even come close either. So "Genetic Giants" ? If their size is "genetic" wouldn't as the very least some of the offspring be "Giants" as well.

You have been working with this local since, what 98 ? And you have no Idea if any of the babies grow to those MONSTER lengths?

I dont think "Nuff Said" until we find out what the deal is with these MONSTER BULLS.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
homegrownherps
Just thought I would give this thread a bump. I am still looking for anyone who has info on raising CAPTIVE HATCHED Hwy #277 aka "Monster Bulls".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!