Spider Research Survey Participation greatly appreciated! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Morphie
Spider Research Survey Participation greatly appreciated!

x-posted elsewhere. If you've already filled one out, i got it, and i don't need you to fill out another one. Thanks!!

Before you fill out a survey, please read everything!! If you skip reading the instructions, i will know! If this happens, i can not count your answers and your time will be wasted

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far.

Below is a survey consisting of about 20 questions. If you have the time and patience, please fill out the survey by copying and pasting it into a reply to the thread, and type in an answer for each question for each of the spiders you own. If you answer the questions for multiple spiders (let's say you own three) please give me their names or a number you've assigned to them with each answer so i don't get their data mixed up.

Example:

"Snakeyspiderpants" is #1
"Snake-ette" is #2

How big is your snake (in grams?)

#1 48 g
#2 4000 g

How old is your snake?

#1 15 days
#2 21 years

This survey is just for SPIDERS in YOUR COLLECTION. No crosses, and no snakes you intend to sell PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Please do not fill out this survey for spider crosses (bees, etc.) There will be a separate survey for these animals. Thank you!

Feel free to omit any information you don't wish to share, but ***please*** try to keep your answers as accurate as possible! Finally, when you finish your survey type the word tigerlily at the end to prove that you read all associated instructions. Your data will not be counted unless you do this.

Yet again, thank you for your time. I can not adequately express my appreciation!

On to the survey (copy and paste the following)

1. Firstly, How did you find this Survey (you may omit this answer if you're answering here - this one is for those who fill out the survey on my livejournal and elsewhere)

2. What is your name/nickname/tag there? Or else please leave me an email address if you're willing to share more specific information (again you may omit this if you're answering here).

3. How old is your spider?

4. What sex is your spider?

5. How much does your spider weigh in grams?

6. From whom/where did you purchase your spider? If you have information about the spider's pedigree, please provide it here.

7. If your spider is big enough to breed, have you attempted to breed it? (if you answer yes to this question, I will likely attempt to follow up with more questions for you through whatever contact info i have for you.)

8. If your spider is *not* big enough to breed, do you intend to attempt breeding later?

9. What do you feed your spider? (please tell me the type of food offered, its approximate size, and whether it is live/pk/ft)

10. How often do you feed your spider?

11. On a scale of 1-10 rate how regularly your spider eats during the warm months. (1 being not at all and 10 being every time food is offered)

12. Does your spider have a noticeable head tilt (head is cocked to one side when lifted/not resting on a stable surface)? If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

13. Does your spider "wobble" (unable to hold still when head is lifted/not resting on a stable surface) If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

14. Has your spider ever displayed unusual movement behaviors such as appearing confused or panicked for no obvious reason, slithering in weird directions, flipping upside down or rolling? If yes, please describe the behavior in detail.

15. If you answered yes to 14, how old was your spider when it started? Approximately how much did your spider weigh in grams when it started?

16. If you answered yes to 14, on a scale of 1-10 how often does this behavior occur? 1 being it's only ever happened once, 10 being it happens constantly.

17. yes or no, have you ever had any non-spider snake (non-spider means no spiders or crosses that involve spiders) exhibit wobbling, head-tilting, or motor problems? If yes, what is the morphological background of this snake? (Please do not count cases of snakes that had this problem due to an injury or illness such as IBD. I'm looking for otherwise healthy/normally functioning snakes.)

18. Please briefly describe each aspect of your spider's living quarters. Please provide information about the enclosure material (glass, plastic etc), substrate material, presence of hides, and your target temps/humidity.

19. How many days a week do you handle your spider? And for approx. how long?

20. How many ball pythons are in your total collection (snakes you don't intend to sell)? and are you a hobbyist, breeder, or professional breeder?

21. prove that you read the instructions before starting:

This concludes the survey for now. I may attempt to get in touch with individuals again later for additional data depending on your answers. Thanks again for your help!!

one last time: THANK YOU!

Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
LakesideBoas
Snake #1 Fae
Snake #2 Sprite
Snake #3 Nixie

1. Firstly, How did you find this Survey (you may omit this answer if you're answering here - this one is for those who fill out the survey on my livejournal and elsewhere)

N/A

2. What is your name/nickname/tag there? Or else please leave me an email address if you're willing to share more specific information (again you may omit this if you're answering here).

You may e-mail me at:
lakesideboas@comcast.net

All 3 are late '07s.

All 3 are female.

#1 738 grams
#2 686 grams
#3 673 grams
All weights were taken Sept 19th, 2008. They are due to be weighed again this later this month.

6. From whom/where did you purchase your spider? If you have information about the spider's pedigree, please provide it here.

#1 Roland Felton (unknown line)
#2 Shawn Skillings (Hartwig line)
#3 Derek Federico (unknown line)

7. If your spider is big enough to breed, have you attempted to breed it? (if you answer yes to this question, I will likely attempt to follow up with more questions for you through whatever contact info i have for you.)

None are old enough to be bred at this time.

8. If your spider is *not* big enough to breed, do you intend to attempt breeding later?

#1 Yes
#2 Yes
#3 No

9. What do you feed your spider? (please tell me the type of food offered, its approximate size, and whether it is live/pk/ft)

All 3 are eating/offered live or F/T weanling rats.

All three eat weekly.

11. On a scale of 1-10 rate how regularly your spider eats during the warm months. (1 being not at all and 10 being every time food is offered)

All 3 are excellent feeders; 10.

12. Does your spider have a noticeable head tilt (head is cocked to one side when lifted/not resting on a stable surface)? If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

All 3 have no head tilt.

13. Does your spider "wobble" (unable to hold still when head is lifted/not resting on a stable surface) If yes, is this intermittent or constant?

#1 No
#2 No
#3 Yes. Constant.

14. Has your spider ever displayed unusual movement behaviors such as appearing confused or panicked for no obvious reason, slithering in weird directions, flipping upside down or rolling? If yes, please describe the behavior in detail.

#1 No
#2 No
#3 Yes. She raises the upper third of her body off the ground and "helicopters" (swings in in great circles and/or arcs). She seems to not realize when that same upper third of her body is upside-down in relation to the rest of her body. She often rests the upper third of her body upside-down on top of the lower third of her body. I put a lower sided water bowl in her enclosure as she would root around the outside of the other clear plastic one like she could see and smell water, but didn't know how to get to it. I did this quickly (within a day of her being here) so I do not "know" she would not have eventually figured out how to get to the water. She will usually miss the food on her first try, although the subsequent strike will generally result in her tagging her prey.

15. If you answered yes to 14, how old was your spider when it started? Approximately how much did your spider weigh in grams when it started?

I noticed it the same evening she arrived here; she was perhaps 2-3 months old. About 100 grams.

16. If you answered yes to 14, on a scale of 1-10 how often does this behavior occur? 1 being it's only ever happened once, 10 being it happens constantly.

10 (daily)

17. yes or no, have you ever had any non-spider snake (non-spider means no spiders or crosses that involve spiders) exhibit wobbling, head-tilting, or motor problems? If yes, what is the morphological background of this snake? (Please do not count cases of snakes that had this problem due to an injury or illness such as IBD. I'm looking for otherwise healthy/normally functioning snakes.)

No

18. Please briefly describe each aspect of your spider's living quarters. Please provide information about the enclosure material (glass, plastic etc), substrate material, presence of hides, and your target temps/humidity.

All 3 live in a rack system. Their enclosures are ventilated plastic tubs. Their substrate is paper towels. Each have a large waterbowl and plastic hide in it's enclosure. The hides are low enough for them to sit on top of should they desire. The rack is controlled by a helix thermostat target hot spot 88-90 degreees cool spot 78-80 degrees. Humidity ranges from 60-75% depending on how sloppy I am with the water!

I handle each animal in my collection daily if only to check them out and check their water. Longer sessions last apporoximately 15-20 mins depending on how busy I am that day.

20. How many ball pythons are in your total collection (snakes you don't intend to sell)? and are you a hobbyist, breeder, or professional breeder?

Right this moment I have ten, although I have seven more I require to produce some animals I am interested in, one of which is another Spider.
I am a hobbyist.

tigerlily

Disclaimer: I did NOT notify the individual I recieved the Spider that wobbles from of it's proclivities as there was absolutely nothing he could do about it and I like her (she makes an excellent pet). I do tend to hold her more often because she is so sweet (she does not exhibit her more flamboyant behavior when held). It is painful for me to watch what she does at times and if I ever felt her to be in pain or if she were unable to feed herself or take in water I would have her humanely euthenized.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
exitree

4 months
male
252g as of 10/14/08
Steve Winkler Reptiles
n/a
yes
rat weanlings (approx. 40g, stunned)
every 5 days
no
no
yes, he did do kind of a flip/roll over once when he got to close to a rat and touched his nose to it (must have startled him).
approx. 3 months and about 150g, hasen't happened since.
no
plastic tub, newspaper, 2 hides, ambient temp. 79-82, cool side 78, warm side 88, humidity between 52-56%
4 days a week, about 10-15 mins each time
3, hobbyist
tigerlilly

Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
BallFriend
Fauna

Spiderball81 @ yahoo.com

13 months

Female

800grams

N/A

Yes

Stubborn mouse eater

Try to feed a couple mice every 3 days

Nope

Nope

Maybe moved a little faster trying to get away, however she is also oneof my calmest snakes

N/A

N/A

No

28QT plastic with one hide humudity at 60% temps from 85-90 substrate is paper towels

Once a week for maybe 10 minutes for cleaning and weighing

Only 11 snakes/ Hobbyist/breeding is being attempted

tigerlily

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!