Sexing red eye croc skink - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Skimo
Sexing red eye croc skink

I was convinced mine was a male by going off the belly scales. The stomach is a dark reddish brown, and there's the enlarged belly button scales. However, I'm having doubts because I don't see the toe pads on the back feet. Just wondering if anyone has heard of a male not having the pads?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
rcarichter
Sexing these guys is extremely difficult at best. Not sure about males with no pads, but I've had females with somewhat enlarged belly scales. Seems like every one I looked at, I could convince myself was male (which was not the case). Sorry, not much help, but I feel your frustration!

Noelle

Old 08-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
NocturnalNature
Once you compare a definite male and female the differences are pretty apparent, particularly in regards to the pores on the rear feet/toes. I wish I could explain it better but I guarantee once you see adult specimens of each sex you'll have one of those "Ohh!" moments.
Post a few pics of your animals abdomen and rear foot for an educated guess.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Skimo
Only camera I have is the phone, but ill attempt it

Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Skimo

Hope it works. This is Bongo. That's an overview, his belly, and each of his ear feet. Wish everything I've heard about playing dead was true. I pick him up and the chirping starts, and everytime I went to take a picture he jumped back into his tank. Then he finished it off by pooping in my hand.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
NocturnalNature
All indications are that you have a female.
I used to work with a very large colony and can honestly say I never had one play dead. The "chirping" and flight behavior are normal. They are awesome animals but tend to be more of a hands off type of pet.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Skimo
That's fairly disheartening. I'll have to call the place and see if they're willing to give me a male instead. : / It was an auction for the specific one so dunno if they will. Puh. Thanks alot for the help, though.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 AM   #8
NocturnalNature
Give Ben Siegal a call. I requested specific sex ratios from him several years ago and he was pretty much spot on. He also gave me a nice discount for purchasing multiple animals which was a bonus.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Skimo
Yeah, they have pretty good customer service. Guy last night left a message for day crew.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!