INEXPENSIVE way into ball projects - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2004, 02:24 AM   #1
bigdee
Stop! INEXPENSIVE way into ball projects

hello all

I have a %100 het male albino and a norm femal. I wantd to know how can I get started with projects without spending BIG $$$$$. I will be going to NY show this sunday and will be looking for something. I would love to here how some of you that started small scale got going. I also wanted to know how many of you feel its not even worth dealing with poss like %50. I hear that I can start with the 2 I have but that it would maybe take more than 5yrs whooo long time.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
Sand&SunReptile
Well, it sounds like you are on the right track. 100% het male, and normal females are the cheapest way in, and gives you a nice supply of adult females.
Breeding you het to a normal will take up to 5 years to produce the desired morph anyways...
But, I think a lot of people, without much money to spend start with 100% het male w/ normal females. A 100% het pair. Or a pastel male, and normal females.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:08 AM   #3
MGReptiles
Yup Mike gotter... Any co-dom trait will be the quickest as far as buying one high dollar snake and then het to het breeding is the best way to get ino the really high dollar stuff like albinos and such...

Old 11-18-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Mark and Aimee
I'd have to say... the least expensive route to morphs is to send your adult females to a friend/associated with a pastel male.

(hmm... I think we just did that!)

Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
Well, thats if you know somebody.
I wish I had someone around here like that, and I am not big on shipping...
Buttttttt, the closest thing to a morph around here is a guy who said he'd lend me his "het pastel".
It is normal, which would be good, but my pastel isnt even concieved yet...

Old 11-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
NEWReptiles
Quote:
I also wanted to know how many of you feel its not even worth dealing with poss like %50.

I LOVE POSSIBLE HETS!!!!!!!!

First clutch from albino x possible het= 5 eggs, 5 albinos.
Second clutch from albino x possible het= 6 eggs 2 albinos.

Like others have stated, pastels are a great way to start, its how I started. I also think that if you spend the next season or two making possible het albinos, then in 06-07 you buy an albino male, you will get a great start that way.

Either way, you must enjoy the animals and want work with them I think this will make your efforts pay off in the long run.

These are the babies from my last 04 clutch.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I LOVE POSSIBLE HETS!!!!!!!!
You would! .

I'm also fairly certain your lawn is seeded with clover, and you wear a huge horseshoe around your neck .

Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
Well, thats if you know somebody. I wish I had someone around here like that, and I am not big on shipping...
Not necessarily. If you're a businessman, you'll find someone who needs some extra normal females. If you're not willing to ship animals, you won't have much luck selling animals on the internet.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
NEWReptiles
Quote:
If you're not willing to ship animals, you won't have much luck selling animals on the internet.
90% of the animals I produce and sell are sold locally. I put it right in my ads that I do not ship from Octish til spring. I know I lose a few sales, but if the seller is willing to drive a wee bit, not shipping isn't a huge deal.

Quote:
I'm also fairly certain your lawn is seeded with clover, and you wear a huge horseshoe around your neck .
Close, but thats not where I found the horseshoe.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:05 PM   #10
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
90% of the animals I produce and sell are sold locally. I put it right in my ads that I do not ship from Octish til spring. I know I lose a few sales, but if the seller is willing to drive a wee bit, not shipping isn't a huge deal.
Wish I could find a local market to support our efforts. It's just not here though! I don't find shipping to be an issue (with Fedex and Delta, we can pretty much please everyone). Every once in a while, we'll do a local sale (Colorado Springs, Denver, Pueblo), but for the most part, Colorado is a dead area for the market we service.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!