Color of hides and update on the "kids" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
A_Kendergirl
Color of hides and update on the "kids"

Has anyone else noticed a preference for dark colored hides over light one? I had white foam bowls as hides, and almost never saw the babies in them. Today I changed to blue solo bowls, and they all loved them! Every single one of the spent at least 5 mins hanging out in them...now 3 out of four are still using them. The fourth is Amber, and she went back to her humid hide because she's shedding. As you can see, they certainly seem to approve, especially Amber (giving a smile on the bottom). Too bad the tubs make everything so milky!

All the girls are doing good and gaining weight. In 9 days Amber has gained 4g, Garnet 3g, Tigerlily 5g, and Mirage pulling up the rear with 2g.

Here you can see Amber getting ready to make calcium tracks all over her nice clean tub. Check out how pale she is, her skin is ready to come off at any second. Usually she the color of a stick of butter.

Mirage is going super hypo for sure. Take a look at the difference in just 1 1/2 weeks!

Old 07-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #2
thesnakecharmer
Beautiful leos Shanti! I love the colors on Mirage, she is going to get prettier and prettier as she grows up. I too have noticed a preference for dark hides that are a tight squeeze. I am guessing that it gives them a greater sense of security. Keep us posted, I love those pics!

Old 07-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
nwheat
Sounds like your new babies are doing great! Mirage has changed alot - amazing how quickly they change, isn't it? Love that picture of Amber in her new hide!

Nancy

Old 07-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Blazin
Wow Mirage is going to be a looker! LOL! I knew that!! Cool Shanti thanks for the info on the hide coloration.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
MorphTiles
I have noticed they prefer the black hides I have over the white ones as well.

Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
progeckos
Ditto! My leos always run for dark spots. Way back when I had semi clear hides and they didn’t like it. That’s why I like the ceramic hides as they’re very dark. I think the leos do too because they spend all day in them.

BTW nice pics! I think you need to give Amber some cement so she can put her foot print in it. Now only if she could sign her name. LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!