Two Peas in a Pod. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
esoteric-lizard
Wink Two Peas in a Pod.

springtime love.... hmmmm.

retics are tricky little buggers! :icongrin:

Old 04-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
They make a beautiful couple.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
hhmoore
How many retics do you have again, Brian?
You're certainly showing me up with all these pictures...but in looking around, I just don't have anything cool to take pics of...I'll either have to start recycling them, or buy new stuff, lol

Old 04-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
How many retics do you have again, Brian?
You're certainly showing me up with all these pictures...but in looking around, I just don't have anything cool to take pics of...I'll either have to start recycling them, or buy new stuff, lol
14 retics... 3 males, and 11 females.

ya i gots plenty of picture material to go around.

recycling is good!

Old 04-26-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Junkyard
What size cages do you keep them in? I am building new cages for mine in June, so a few ideas would be welcomed. I am also trying to decide if I want slide open, drop down, or open sideway doors. Any recommendations?

Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
What size cages do you keep them in? I am building new cages for mine in June, so a few ideas would be welcomed. I am also trying to decide if I want slide open, drop down, or open sideway doors. Any recommendations?
well you might not like the sound of this... but plastic is best!

i use newspaper for substrate and plastic caging... my cages are 6fters... i dont have any 27ft retics lying around so a 6ft is good for me.

i have used wood and it just doesnt last, unless you put down some kind of tile and sealent. even then if you get mites your DOOMED!

i have 4'X2' and 6'X3' size cages... i keep my smaller retics in the 4 fters with no problems. all of the cages have sliding glass doors.

... i dont feed my males too heavy, and i have a couple of small dwarf females.

hope that helps.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
Junkyard
I like the plastic cages too, I may use all plastic when I build mine, I just have not decided yet.

My retics are small right now, so I have some time to design cages for them. I was told a 7' x 3' x 3' is big enough to handle an adult, I have even considered a two layer cage for them so they will have another level to move around on. Is three feet tall necessary? The largest retic I have seen in person was 16 feet long, granted they get bigger, but three feet seemed to be extra that was not needed. I would think two feet would suffice.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #8
hhmoore
Michael, I think you will be fine with a 2 ft cage. You really need that height when you go 3ft deep, just so you can get to the back for cleaning.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Junkyard
Ahh, Harald that makes sense. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
I like the plastic cages too, I may use all plastic when I build mine, I just have not decided yet.

My retics are small right now, so I have some time to design cages for them. I was told a 7' x 3' x 3' is big enough to handle an adult, I have even considered a two layer cage for them so they will have another level to move around on. Is three feet tall necessary? The largest retic I have seen in person was 16 feet long, granted they get bigger, but three feet seemed to be extra that was not needed. I would think two feet would suffice.
its important to consider with retics... your building them a big hide box... not a house... they dont mind, and actually feel safer in smaller enclosures... that is if you take them out for cage cleanings, and for the occasional stroll around the house...

most females get about 18ft...and dont usually get the weight of a burm... but there are those that exceed this, of course.

i am sure you know males dont need too much space.

... give or take a foot either way and i really dont think it matter, fact is you dont need a 10ft long cage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!