Everyone's favorite group: PETA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #1
midnightline
Everyone's favorite group: PETA

Ok, so this isn't a reptile story, but since a good number of herpers like to keep an eye on PETA...

-Kat Hall

Article:

Clergy: Veggie Jesus Ad Is Sacrilegious

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) -- Christian and Jewish clergy say a billboard that promotes vegetarianism by claiming "Jesus was the prince of peas" is historically inaccurate and sacrilegious.

The billboard includes a picture of Jesus with an orange slice in place of a halo and was erected by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, to coincide with Passover and Easter.

PETA's Bruce Friedrich said the campaign is meant to provoke the thought that if people are eating meat, they are promoting cruelty to animals.

"The way that animals are treated on factory farms and slaughterhouses is egregiously cruel and mocks God," Friedrich said.

But Rabbi David Ostrich of Temple Beth-el, said historical evidence indicates that Jesus, like other Jews of the time, was a meat eater. He said a ritual part of the Passover meal was a lamb slaughtered in the Temple in Jerusalem.

AP Wire story

Old 04-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Thanks for posting that, Kat!

Talk about idiocy and mocking God! PETA ought to be ashamed, but won't be.

Old 04-19-2003, 12:35 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
PeTa maintains this website http://www.jesusveg.com/index2.html for promoting the idea that Jesus was a vegetarian.

I first discovered the site in 1999, and at that time the logo was a picture of Jesus, in a style similar to Catholic paintings, with an orange slice for a halo.
I wrote a lengthy letter to them asking for validation and scriptural basis for their stance. I included numerous biblical references to Jesus condoning the consumption of meatand asked their interpretation of them.

I knew the effort was wasted, but I wanted to see how they would respond and develop a better understanding of the warped mindset required to be that level of extremist.

I have looked and unfortunatly I no longer have the reply to my email inquiry, it was 4 years and two computers ago, but I can sum it up easily.
It was obviously a form letter, and made no effort to address any of the points I made specifically.
Their entire rebuttal to all instances of Jesus condoning eating meat consisted of this single claim:

Every passage in the Bible talking of Jesus eating meat or giving meat to eat was added by meat eating heretics 500 years or so after the death of Jesus in order to justify their sinful desire to slaughter helpless animals and consume their flesh.
It seems, from a quick skimming of their FAQ just now, that they may have changed their approach to this. It looks like they write off most of these instances to symbolism now, and claim they are not talking about actual animals at all.

There is no way to argue someone with that mindset. If every example taken from the Bible is merely swept aside using the above reasoning, it's an excercise in futility.

Without attempting to engage in a Biblical debate, it is interesting to note that the Bible foretold of such people coming forth in the latter days and refers to their beliefs as doctrines of devils.

Quote:
I Timothy 4:1-5

1. Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2. Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3. Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5. For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

emphasis mine
Note this refers to vegetarianism as a doctrine, not as a personal choice of lifestyle. Once it is taken beyond personal choice and used as a dietary law for religious purposes it falls under this passage.

I have always found it interesting the lengths some will go to use the Bible to develop a doctrine which is decidedly unbiblical.
Just another example of the fanatacism we face with Peta as an enemy.

Old 04-19-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
Darin Chappell
Just a point of interest for those who argue with PETA types about the morality of eating animals:

God told Noah to put two of every kind of animal in the ark prior to the flood EXCEPT for the "clean" animals. Of those animals, God instructed Noah to place seven of each type within the ark. Why? They ATE the clean animals, and if there were but two of them, well one meal would anihilate the species!

PETA = People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

Old 04-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Wilomn
Now that's a fastenating(?) tidbit I never heard before. Which of the animals are clean? Could you provide a list please.

thanks,
Wes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!